The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) has called an Extraordinary General Assembly (EGA) on June 25 to discuss the changes in the Olympic programme for Tokyo 2020.
It will be held at the Hilton Park Hotel in Munich in Germany.
The ISSF approved major changes for the Tokyo 2020 Games in February, in order to comply with International Olympic Committee (IOC) wishes on gender equality.
Three events for just male shooters - the double trap, 50 metre rifle prone and 50m pistol - have all been replaced with mixed team competitions.
The changes, however, have not been universally popular and are now set to be the focus of further discussions next month.
"The ISSF circulated among its member federations a letter on April 12, requesting to participate in a postal vote regarding the request of an ISSF Extraordinary General Assembly," an ISSF spokesperson told insidethegames.
"Since more than 25 member federations answered requesting an Extraordinary General Assembly, the ISSF called the meeting with a letter dated April 25, according to its constitution.
"The only point on the agenda is: 'Provide a solution to prevent cancellation of three major shooting events: 50m rifle prone, 50m pistol and double trap, in compliance with the IOC standards and the Olympic Charter', as per the request of the member federations that triggered the process."
The IOC hope to equal the balance between disciplines for men and women in all sports included on the Olympic programme.
Following a two year evaluation, the ISSF's Ad-Hoc Committee recommended replacing the three disciplines.
The IOC Executive Board will make a final decision on the 2020 Olympic shooting programme later this year.
In March, European Shooting Confederation (ESC) President Vladimir Lisin said those against the changes should withdraw their opposition.
He said some had called for an EGA on the matter and referenced a decision made last year, when a new ISSF constitution was blocked by the membership.
The new document received 64 per cent approval but failed to achieve the two thirds majority it needed to pass.
Lisin said he was "not happy" with the elimination of certain events but said the sport needed to comply with the IOC's wishes.
"We have to follow the Olympic Charter and comply with the recommendations of gender equality," he said.
"It means to guarantee equality between men and women not only in the number of participating athletes but in the possibility to win a medal.
"Any proposal to change the content of the Olympic shooting programme, to substitute or to eliminate one or another event, will lead inevitably, same as now, to the appearance of offended or unhappy persons within the shooting community and the industry.
"It will never be possible to find total consensus in such a delicate matter.
"I am addressing those of you who, like me, defend the democratic ways of the ISSF management.
"However, in the present case the democratic way of development may bring us to a dead end.
"Now it is impossible, even harmful, to start changing the recommendations done to the IOC by the ISSF Executive Committee and the Administrative Council.
"In the future we will have a chance to show flexibility in the programme of the next Olympic Games, those events that are most interesting to the public and the athletes."
Lisin also called on ESF members to contact the ISSF and reject the idea for an EGA, with it now clear that he was unsuccessful.
The row has divided shooting and became particularly ugly when the ISSF accused its own vice president, Luciano Rossi, of spreading lies and making a series of "false accusations" with regards to the Tokyo changes.
Rossi claimed secretary general Franz Schreiber and fellow vice-president Gary Anderson had held secret talks with the IOC about the possible introduction of laser guns into the sport.
This was rejected by the ISSF.