Kenyan Sports Minister Hassan Wario and other senior officials have been questioned by police over the "disappearance" of KES88 million (£693,000/$864,000/€816,000) meant for the country’s athletes at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The Daily Nation reports detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) moved into the Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts’ Kencom House offices, where they interviewed Wario for about four hours.
Officers are also said to have questioned the Ministry's director of administration, Harun Komen, and chief of staff, Wesley Maritim.
Detectives, meanwhile, have been looking for Richard Ekai, the Ministry's principal secretary, according to the Daily Nation.
The National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOCK) signed a deal with Kenya Airways which agreed KES175,000 (£1,400/$1,700/€1,600) return tickets per person in economy class to the Rio Olympics and communicated the same to the Ministry who told them they would follow up and secure the tickets.
The total payment for the tickets ended up being KES154,541,280 (£1,216,935/$1,517,856/€1,433,174) which was KES88,611,480 (£697,771/$870,314/€822,370) more than NOCK’s quote, it is claimed.
Paul Ochieng, the dean of students at Nairobi's Strathmore University, has called for action to be taken against those culpable in the misappropriation.
He has also said the NOCK should account for the KES126 million (£991,000/$1.3 million/€1.2 million) per year they receive from American sportswear giant Nike on behalf of athletes.
On Friday (November 25), Kenya's deputy Chef de Mission at the Rio Olympics, Ben Ekumbo, was formally charged with the theft of money and kit meant for the African nation’s team.
Others to have been detained include Chef de Mission Stephen Soi, team manager Pius Ochieng, NOCK secretary-general Francis Paul and treasurer Fridah Shiroya.
Charges against Shiroya have since been dropped and it is expected she will now testify against her colleagues.
The investigation relates to a report by the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games Probe Committee which accuses Kenya's Steering Committee for the Games of "abdicating its work and allowing the plundering of resources and mismanagement by Olympic officials".
The Steering Committee, chaired by Ekai, was expected to meet at least 10 times to plan out Kenya's participation at Rio 2016, but only met up twice in the end.
"The lack of regular meetings inconvenienced many sub-committees and it led to the chairs of these various committees having to meet with the principal secretary Dr Richard Ekai in person for consultations and policy direction that would otherwise have been deliberated upon during regular committee meetings," reads the report.
"These private consultation meetings made many Steering Committee members feel left out in the Games' planning, therefore lowering their morale."
The report notes that a review of the Steering Committee's minutes revealed that there was no official list of the members of the committee, and that the representatives of the various sports bodies involved in the planning of the Games continually changed.
The Probe Committee, appointed by Wario, concluded that participants in all disciplines were ill-prepared for the Games and that some were left to their own devices ahead of the event.
Their report is ready to be presented by Wario to Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta.
It was claimed earlier this month that the report will allege that officials within Kenya's Sports Ministry embezzled money meant to cover the expenses of the country's Olympic team.
A total of KES870 million (£7 million/$8.4 million/€7.9 million) set aside for air tickets was misappropriated, it has been suggested.
"The Ministry of Sport and Culture is expected to hand over the report on the 2016 Rio Olympics challenges to the President this week," said State House spokesman Manoah Esipisu in a statement.
"The report is known to focus on issues of governance and systemic problems within sport in the country.
"The President will pronounce himself on the way forward when he receives the report.
"In the meantime, a team from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations and the Office of the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) have continued their investigations into the matter with a view to bringing to justice people that may be responsible for any wrongdoing."
NOCK chairman Kipchoge Keino, a double Olympic gold medallist, is the organisation's only senior official not to have been arrested.
A meeting of the NOCK reportedly descended into chaos last week with Member Federations rebelling against the leadership and questioning why the members of the Executive Committee had not resigned in the wake of the ongoing scandal.
Several athletes also demonstrated against the NOCK officials, holding placards to show their opposition to the way the debacle had been dealt with.
A timetable for reform has been proposed by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which would culminate in fresh elections and a new constitution before the end of the year.
Keino admitted they were "running out of time" after a number of changes proposed during the meeting, aimed at addressing the needs of the IOC, were deemed unacceptable by the country’s Federations.