Elections at the crisis-hit National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOCK) might not be held before the end of the year as requested by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), it has been claimed.
The governing body in the African country has been in turmoil since the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in August, with Sports Minister Hassan Wario formally dissolving the NOCK after the Games.
It followed a series of alleged problems in Brazil, with all senior officials accused of wrongdoing except for chairman Kipchoge Keino, a double Olympic gold medallist.
They were accused of key accommodation and travel mishaps, including the "mishandling of accreditation", as well as kits which allegedly never reached athletes.
A timetable for reform was proposed by the IOC following crisis talks, with fresh elections and a new constitution demanded before the end of the year.
"The NOCK will convene its Elective General Assembly and conduct free and fair elections of the members of the NOCK Executive Board in accordance with the newly approved NOCK Constitution," a message posted on the IOC website said in September.
"The whole process will be completed by the end of this year (i.e. by December 31, 2016), and will be placed under the full supervision of the IOC, in close coordination with the NOCK and the Ministry of Sports."
NOCK secretary general Francis Paul has now claimed, however, that the IOC placed no time-frame on when proceedings should take place.
"We first have to finish the constitutional review process which currently is ongoing before coming up with the road-map to elections," he said to All Africa.
"As NOCK we need sufficient time to carry out our audit before submitting it to IOC and therefore that will not be possible for us to hold the polls this year as much of the time now is to audit our accounts and comply with IOC statutes in time."
Paul added that the NOCK will convene an Extraordinary General Meeting after the constitutional review process is over, to endorse the new constitution and set dates for the elections.
He also called on Wario to reverse the disbanding of the governing body.
"OC told Wario to rescind his decision to disband NOCK, we have been expecting him to do so publicly," said Paul.
Paul's comments come after officials within Kenya's Sports Ministry were accused of embezzling money meant to cover the expenses of the country's team at Rio 2016.
The allegation was reportedly included in a report by the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games Probe Committee, which has been investigating potential wrongdoing.
Paul Ochieng, the dean of students at Strathmore University in Nairobi, led the probe which could now lead to criminal charges.
All of those allegedly involved have not been identified.
According to Reuters, the report claims more than KES870 million (£7 million/$8.4 million/€7.9 million) set aside for air tickets was misappropriated.
The report also accuses the NOCK of diverting money and kit from a deal with sports equipment giant Nike.
This was said to be worth KES126 million (£988,000/$1.2 million/€1.1 million) per year since 2013, with the money meant for athletes.
insidethegames revealed last week that the NOCK is receiving $5.7 million (£4.5 million/€5.2 million) as part of an eight-year contract with Nike.
According to All Africa, the Probe Committee has not been paid for its services three weeks after handing over the report to the Wario.
The report has not been officially released.
"These [Sports Ministry] officials suspect that they are adversely mentioned in the report hence they want to get hold of it so as to doctor it or hit back before it is released," Ochieng said to All Africa.
insidethegames has approached the IOC for a comment on the current situation.