Buenos Aires awarded 2018 Summer Youth Olympics ahead of Medellin and Glasgow
Thursday, 04 July 2013
July 4 - Buenos Aires were today awarded the 2018 Summer Youth Olympic Games ahead of Medellin and Glasgow, who were knocked out in the first round.
The Argentinian capital beat its South American rival at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Extraodinary Session here by polling 49 votes to the Colombian city, which got 39.
In the first round Glasgow had been eliminated after getting only 13 votes, compared to Buenos Aires' 40 and Medellin 32.
The decision to award Buenos Aires the event came after unsuccessful bids for the Summer Olympics in 1936, 1956, 1968 and 2004.
"I am absolutely thrilled that the IOC has awarded the 2018 Youth Olympic Games to Buenos Aires," said Gerardo Werthein, President of the Argentine Olympic Committee and a member of the IOC.
"I would like to express my thanks to [IOC] President [Jacques] Rogge and all the members of the IOC who have placed their trust in us and we will not let them down.
"We feel this is the right time for Buenos Aires, Argentina and the Olympic Movement to join together and advance the cause of Olympism among young people across the globe."
Buenos Aires' presentation included a video set to "Don't Cry for Me Argentina", a song from the 1978 musical Evita with music by Britain's Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice, about Eva Peron, the former First Lady of Argentina and one of the most controversial figures in the country's history.
The song includes the line, "I kept my promise".
The IOC will desperately be hoping is the case after the city was forced to confirm that complete financial guarantees and commitments offered by Buenos Aires 2018 included the Government of the City of Buenos Aires taking full responsibility to cover any potential financial shortfall in the Organising Committee's commitments, as well as any shortfall in the costs incurred for the construction of the Youth Olympic Village and the permanent and temporary infrastructure for the Youth Olympics, following a relatively poor IOC Evaluation Commission report.
"Buenos Aires believes in the Youth Olympic Games, its values and principles, and the inspirational energy of sport to empower the youth," said Werthein.
"We are honoured to be chosen as host for the YOG in 2018 because we want the event to thrive and grow in the exciting years ahead."
The decision was considered an upset as Medellin had been seen as the front runner.
"We had three excellent candidates from which to choose a host city today, each with the capability of staging memorable Youth Olympic Games in 2018," said IOC President Jacques Rogge.
"I would like to congratulate Buenos Aires and their bid team for their dedication to and enthusiasm for the Youth Olympic Games project.
"I have no doubt they will build on the successes of Singapore 2010 and Nanjing 2014 to provide a platform on which the best young athletes from around the world can compete and learn about the Olympic values."
The decision means that the Olympic Movement will sway to a South American beat as Buenos Aires will follow Rio de Janeiro, which is due to host the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics.
But in contrast, Glasgow's bid appeared to suffer from the belief that it was too soon for the IOC to award another major event to Britain after London 2012.
Even the presence during the final presentation of Sebastian Coe, the chairman of the British Olympic Association (BOA) and former head of London 2012, and Sir Craig Reedie, vice-president of the IOC, was not enough for Glasgow.
"We extend our congratulations to Buenos Aires on being selected as host for the Youth Olympic Games in 2018," said Coe
"We also congratulate the bid team from Medellin for the quality of its bid and the IOC for the highly professional manner by which the entire bid process has been managed.
"We are of course disappointed that Glasgow didn't prevail but we will continue to actively promote the Olympic values and the life-changing benefits of participating in sport to people of every age throughout the UK.
"The Glasgow bid leaves a very tangible legacy, having engaged with 1.5 million young people in the UK, which means we have 1.5 million potential new young ambassadors for the Olympic Movement and sport.
"That is something we are very proud of."
The seriousness of Medellin's campaign was underlined by the presence of Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos appearing at the presentation and giving a powerful speech about what hosting the Games would mean to the country.
"The International Olympic Committee recognised the efforts made by Medellin," said Santos.
"We believe that just by bidding we won anyway."
Among the first to congratulate Buenos Aires was Carlos Nuzman, President of Rio 2016.
"It is an important achievement for South America to be chosen by the International Olympic Committee to host both the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and now the 2018 Youth Olympic Games," he said.
"I am sure Buenos Aires will host excellent Youth Olympics, and we look forward to sharing our knowledge and experience from the Rio 2016 Games with our neighbours."
July 2013: Medellín secures landslide victory on insidethegames poll on eve of 2018 Youth Olympics vote
July 2013: Princess Anne to miss Glasgow Youth Olympics vote
July 2013: Argentine Olympic President Werthein to lead Buenos Aires 2018 delegation at IOC session
July 2013: Britain's greatest Olympian to join Glasgow 2018 for final IOC bid presentation
July 2013: Colombian President to lead Medellin delegation for 2018 Summer Youth Olympic vote