Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko will not be able to lift his Olympic ban before Pyeongchang 2018 after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said they had not received a request to hear his appeal beforehand.
Former Sports Minister Mutko was given a lifetime Olympic ban by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on December 5, 2017 after being implicated in the Russian doping scandal.
Mutko filed a complaint to CAS in late December with the Lausanne-based court confirming the receipt of the appeal yesterday.
It was judged by the IOC that he was not directly proven to have been involved in the doping scandal, but he was considered in a position of responsibility as the Sports Minister at the time.
However, Russian media outlet R-Sport are reporting that a CAS statement read: "The Mutko appeal procedure will end after the Winter Olympics, as there was no request for expedited consideration."
With this being the case, Mutko is set to miss the Winter Olympics, scheduled to take place in the South Korean county between February 9 and 25.
Mutko has resigned from his role as President of the 2018 World Cup Organising Committee and temporarily stepped down as President of the Russian Football Union to fight his Olympic ban.
Previously, Mutko had said he is not worried about being admitted into the Games as he has no involvement in them.
As reported by R-Sport in December, Mutko said: "Regarding the non-admission and non-accreditation for the Olympic Games, I was not accredited in 2016 [for the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro].
"It does not affect our work.
"FIFA has already released a statement that says it does not affect our preparations for the 2018 World Cup."