Matt Walls has recalled his crash at the Commonwealth Games ©Getty Images

English cyclist Matt Walls has confirmed he has fully recovered from a precarious crash at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, which saw him propelled over the barrier into the crowd.

He was involved in a seven-person pile-up started by a move from Canada's Mathias Guillemette, which also brought down Isle of Man's Matt Bostock, Barbados' Jamol Eastmond, Derek Gee from Canada, Josh Duffy of Australia, Scotland's Kyle Gordon and New Zealand's George Jackson.

Walls, Bostock and Gee were all taken to hospital, while Gordon missed the men's scratch final after being seen in a sling due to an injury sustained during the accident.

The English rider collided with two fans when he and his bike went over the top, with images showing distressed children narrowly avoiding the crash.

Speaking to the Independent, Walls recalled the incident at the Lee Valley Velodrome in London which left paramedics giving him oxygen and putting him onto a stretcher.

He is said to have had concussion for six weeks.

Matt Walls going over the top of the barriers at the Commonwealth Games ©Getty Images
Matt Walls going over the top of the barriers at the Commonwealth Games ©Getty Images

"It was the first time I've had concussion," said Walls.

"I was concussed for quite a few weeks. 

"That was quite a strange feeling and a pretty rough feeling but I got through it in the end with the help of doctors and staff and everyone else.

"It's all behind me now, I've got no issues at all.

"I think I need to just forget about this season and purely focus on next year and doing what I can to get myself in the best position possible. 

"If I keep dwelling on the past it’s not really going to change anything. 

"It's best just to focus on next season."

After a 10-week break following the crash, Walls returned with his professional team, Bora Hansgrohe at its winter camp in Mallorca.

In the final of the men's scratch at the Games, New Zealand's Corbin Strong won the gold medal from John Archibald of Scotland and Ethan Vernon from England.