Olympic swimmer Markus Rogan left Israel despite testing positive for coronavirus, it has been reported ©Getty Images

Olympic swimming silver medallist and performance psychology coach Markus Rogan has reportedly broken the law by leaving Israel despite testing positive for coronavirus.

Rogan was in Israel for his role as the performance psychology coach of the national football team.

The Austrian, who earned Olympic silver medals in the men's 100 metre backstroke and the men's 200m backstroke at Athens 2004, tested positive for COVID-19 after Israel lost 2-1 to the Czech Republic in Haifa on October 11, as reported by Ynet.

It is alleged that, despite being told to quarantine in a hotel room in Caesarea, Rogan instead flew home to Los Angeles via Germany on October 12. 

This would violate Government regulations that prohibit confirmed COVID-19 patients from breaking quarantine.

Rogan reportedly told no-one from the Israel Football Association (IFA) of his intentions and presented a negative coronavirus test from 72 hours earlier at the airport. 

The IFA and head coach Willy Rottensteiner, a fellow Austrian who had recommended Rogan for the post of performance psychology coach, have reportedly been unable to contact the 38-year-old. 

Both Rottensteiner and Rogan were set to leave their roles with the Israel national football team in November. 

Markus Rogan is the performance psychology coach for Israel's national football team ©Getty Images
Markus Rogan is the performance psychology coach for Israel's national football team ©Getty Images

"The person who is supposed to prepare us mentally has done something embarrassing," an unnamed Israeli player reportedly said.

"How does someone who has tested positive for the coronavirus have the audacity to go on two flights and be at airports? 

"What if he has caused harm to someone?"

A similar alleged incident happened earlier this month when American tennis player Sam Querrey reportedly fled Russia after testing positive for coronavirus.

Querrey had been due to compete in the Association of Tennis Professionals 500 event in St Petersburg, but was then diagnosed with COVID-19.

Despite being requested to quarantine in the Russian city, Querrey reportedly arranged for a private jet to take himself, his wife Abby and eight-month old son Ford across the Russian border to a "nearby European country" which did not require a negative test for entry.