The Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games will move away from the idea that athletes due to compete at the event are “superhuman” and will instead “awaken the five senses”, according to a creative director of the spectacle.
Few details of the Ceremony, scheduled to take place at the Maracanã Stadium next Wednesday (September 7), have been revealed but Fred Gelli told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper that one segment will involve viewers not being able to see anything in an homage to those who are visually impaired.
He stressed that it will differ greatly from the Olympic Opening Ceremony, which documented the history and culture of the host country.
Organisers confirmed back in May that the Paralympics Opening Ceremony will include the live creation of a work of art by Ceremony director and renowned Brazilian artist Vik Muniz.
It will use a total of 500 plates, which will be carried by the different delegations to form a gigantic mosaic.
The design of the overall picture has been kept secret.
It is still expected that the spectacle will feature the Brazilian carnival and samba spirit, which attracted praise during the Olympic Games Closing Ceremony on August 21.
“It will be about inclusion and awakening the five senses," Gelli told Estado de Sao Paulo.
“And it will stress the idea that all of our body has a heart.
Gelli said the message that Paralympians are “superhuman”, which was touted at London 2012 and features prominently in a campaign from British broadcaster Channel 4, who are due to screen the upcoming Games, would be ditched.
"The idea is to focus on the human element and not dwell on [sporting] achievement," he said.
The news comes after ticket sales for the event officially passed the one million mark, with the Torch Relay also beginning in Brasilia today.
The amount of seats sold for the Paralympics had been an issue for organisers, who admitted only 12 per cent had been snapped up during the Olympics, but sales have steadily grown since.
A total of 133,000 were sold last Tuesday (August 23) and a further 145,000 the next day, bringing the total to more than 800,000 of the 2.5 million on offer.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) have claimed strong sales continued over the weekend as a result of the Olympics.
The doors to the Paralympic Games Village were officially opened yesterday, with the IPC claiming 2,500 moved in at the first opportunity.
Around 4,350 competitors are expected to travel to the Brazilian city for the Games, which conclude on September 18.