Gert Van Looy
Chef de Mission, Belgium
1) Why has it taken so long for Europe to stage its first continental Games?
I don’t quite know and I won’t start guessing.
2) What makes Baku the perfect host city to stage the inaugural European Games?
The possibility to organise these Games on a very short period of time.
3) How big do you think your team for Baku 2015 will be and how many sports will you be represented in?
We will have 117 athletes in 16 sports.
4) How important is it for the success and appeal of the European Games that some sports afford athletes the opportunity to qualify for Olympic Games?
5) What is the significance of the Games for the European Olympic Movement and how confident are you that they will become sport’s flagship event on the continent?
These Games are very important for the European NOC’s and Sport Federations and can become the flagship of European competitions.
6) How impressed have you been by the facilities to be used for the European Games and the work of the Baku 2015 Organising Committee in ensuring their delivery and readiness? Very Impressed.
7) Are there any sports not represented that you would like to see in the European Games?
I would like to see more athletics and hockey as well.
8) How interested do you think the public in your country will be in the Games?
The interest is growing.
9) What are you looking forward to most at Baku 2015?
Good competitions in high standard infrastructure.