"Pompous" demands by International Olympic Committee (IOC) bosses - including providing "fruit and cakes of the season" in members' hotel rooms - forced politicians to abandon a bid for the Oslo 2022 Games, it is being claimed.
A 7,000-page dossier given to chiefs bidding for the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games also included an insistence that IOC bosses meet the King of Norway before the Opening Ceremony, with a cocktail reception afterwards.
Oslo 2022 abandoned its bid on Wednesday (October 1) after the Conservative Party - the majority group in the Norwegian Government's coalition - failed to offer its financial support.
Other so-called "demands" from the IOC included:
• The IOC President be welcomed ceremoniously on the runway when he arrives.
• IOC members have separate entrances and exits to and from the airport.
• The hotel bar extend its hours "extra late".
• Hotel minibars stock Coca-Cola products.
• All IOC members be provided with a new Samsung mobile phone with a Norwegian mobile subscription.
• Meeting rooms be kept at exactly 20 degrees Celsius at all times.
• Separate lanes on all roads where IOC members will travel.
Siv Jensen, Minister of Finance and leader of the Progress Party - which in May voted against backing the Oslo 2022 bid - said people in Norway "shake their heads over the pompousness" of the IOC's requests.
She added: "First of all, this sends a strong signal to the International Olympic Committee that there is more need for sobriety and public know-how at future Olympics arrangements.
"We also see that the discussions have been about a lot of the same [things], a development that grew completely out of proportions."
The leader of Norway's Centre Party, Trygve Slagsvold Vedum, has echoed those sentiments.
He described the "no" as "the clearest signal Norway could send to [the] IOC", adding it was "due to the escalating demands of the Olympics arrangers in the last years and the debate of special privileges to the leadership in IOC".
Commentators in Norway say opposition to the Winter Olympic and Paralympic bid grew after the extravagant Sochi 2014 Games, which cost $51 billion (£31 billion/€37 billion).
Almost NOK200 million (£19 million/$31 million/€24.5 million) had already been spent on Oslo's bid before the plug was pulled.
Yesterday, the IOC hit out at bid chiefs in Norway.
Christophe Dubi, executive director of the Olympic Games, said "senior politicians in Norway appear not to have been properly briefed on the process and were left to take their decisions on the basis of half-truths and factual inaccuracies".
He also described the withdrawal of the bid as a "missed opportunity".
It leaves the race for the 2022 Games being contested by just two cities: Almaty in Kazakhstan and Chinese capital Beijing, with the winner to be announced in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on July 31.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
October 2014: IOC launch stinging attack on Oslo 2022 after it pulls Olympic bid
September 2014: Oslo 2022 axe Olympic bid after majority Conservative Party fail to give support
September 2014: New poll shows Norwegians would back Olympic bid if costs reduced and Lillehammer facilities used
September 2014: Exclusive: Oslo 2022 claim IOC changes to Host City contract "well-received"
May 2014: Oslo 2022 bid in balance after Norwegian Progress Party votes against it