Kenya has not pulled out of the Commonwealth Youth Games in The Bahamas later this year, it has been claimed, despite National Olympic Committee of Kenya (NOCK) secretary general Francis Kinyili Paul announcing they had withdrawn.
Confusion has surfaced over the African nation's participation at the event, due to be held in Nassau from July 19 to 23, when Paul sent a notice to the NOCK membership that they had been forced to withdraw from the event.
This was dismissed by NOCK chairman Kipchoge Keino, who insisted "we have not entirely withdrawn from the Games".
It came amid another chaotic meeting, which ended prematurely after the NOCK could not agree on the agenda.
Keino admitted, however, that they were struggling to fund sending a team to The Bahamas for the Commonwealth Youth Games and warned they would not participate if they did not attract sufficient money.
insidethegames understands the Commonwealth Games Association of Kenya has not formally notified the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) nor the Bahamas 2017 Organising Committee of any withdrawal.
"We look forward to the Commonwealth Games Association of Kenya confirming their athletes and teams as soon as possible, and look forward to hosting their young athletes at the Bahamas 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games this summer," a CGF spokesperson told insidethegames.
The initial circulation from the NOCK secretary general was met with criticism from members present at the meeting.
"The decision for Kenya to withdraw from the Games is very unfortunate and a big blow for the youth of this nation who may not get a chance to compete with their peers because of politics and selfish interest," Boxing Association of Kenya chairman John Kameta said.
The NOCK was disbanded by Sports Minister Hassan Wario in the wake of a series of issues at last year's Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Last month the decision from Wario was thrown out by the High Court, who ruled he had no legal authority to disband the organisation.
Officials were accused of key accommodation and travel mishaps in the Brazilian city, including the "mishandling of accreditation", as well as kits which allegedly never reached athletes.
Every senior NOCK official, except Keino, was arrested.
Kenya claimed a total of seven medals at the 2015 Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa, which included four golds and three silvers.
This year's edition is set be the largest international sporting event ever staged in The Bahamas and the biggest-ever Commonwealth Youth Games, with up to 1,300 athletes aged 14 to 18 expected to participate.