June 4 - A South African magistrate today warned against "trial by media" as Oscar Pistorius appeared in court for the first time since being freed on bail over the killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
The trial was postponed until August 19 after his lawyers asked for more time to prepare the case.
The 26-year-old double amputee and six-time Paralympic gold medallist is accused of murdering Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model and law graduate, on February 14.
Pistorius claimed he shot Steenkamp through a bathroom door thinking an intruder was inside his house.
Appearing in court in Pretoria, clean shaven Pistorius, dressed in a dark suit and tie, was calm and composed throughout the hearing.
He spoke only to confirm that he had understood after the magistrate confirmed that the hearing would be postponed until later in the year and the same bail conditions would apply.
The South African athlete is expected to stand trial later this year or early next year.
Thulare said the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) should "seriously look" at whether any of the coverage of the case had scandalised the court.
He also made a public appeal for anyone with information about the case to contact the authorities.
Defence laywer Barry Roux told the court the defence team did not oppose an adjournment of the case to August 19.
Pre-trial issues are expected to be dealt with at that hearing.
The appearance comes after Steenkamp's parents Barry and June gave a television interview saying they were desperate to find out why their daughter had been shot.
In the Channel 5 interview, shown last night, June Steenkamp said "there is only one person who knows what happened" that night in February when her "terrified" daughter was killed
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
June 2013: Oscar Pistorius family claim they "fully stand behind" him as prepares for court return
May 2013: Pistorius fined over unpaid tax as assets revealed in bail hearing
May 2013: Pistorius will not compete in 2013, camp confirms
May 2013: Exclusive - Pistorius could still compete at World Championships says IPC Athletics chief
April 2013: Pistorius "not in full training" despite being pictured on the track