Future of Irish sailor in betting scandal still uncertain
Wednesday, 01 August 2012
August 1 - The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today declined to shed further light on an investigation into Irish sailor Peter O'Leary over an alleged bet he made against himself at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Claims against the 29-year-old O'Leary (pictured, centre) are being discussed by the IOC and the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) while the athlete himself has been subject to intense media scrutiny at the Irish camp at London 2012.
O'Leary's solicitors have reportedly claimed that allegations were made to cause "maximum negative impact" to disrupt his preparation for London 2012, where he is competing in the Star class with his partner David Burrows.
They came to light last week when the IOC said an unnamed Irish athlete was being investigated by his National Olympic Committee.
With the IOC's Ethics Commission probing claims that O'Leary placed two bets on an opponent he was competing directly against at the 2008 Games - both successful at 12-1 odds – no comment could be made when IOC director of communications Mark Adams was questioned at today's London 2012 media briefing.
The IOC specifically introduced a rule for Beijing outlawing Olympic competitors betting against themselves in competition and Adams said: "Our Ethics Commission is looking into it and is receiving information.
"While this procedure is under way I wouldn't want to comment further."
O'Leary is the boyfriend of Derval O'Rourke, the two-time European 100 metres hurdles silver medallist, who is also due to compete her.