FIFPro backs FIFA vice-president's pro-hijab campaign
Friday, 24 February 2012
February 24 - The international players' union FIFPro is backing the campaign by FIFA vice-president Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan to change the law and allow Muslim women to wear the hijab during matches.
The Islamic headscarf has been banned since 2007 but the issue comes before the game's lawmaking body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), at its annual meeting on March 3.
The dispute was highlighted when Iran's women's team were forced to forfeit London 2012 Olympic qualifying matches last year.
FIFPro spokeswoman Frederique Winia said: "The current ban on wearing headscarves for religious reasons is discrimination."
Prince Ali will make a presentation to IFAB members showing the hijab held in place by Velcro rather than pins, thereby eliminating any safety dangers.
He is concerned that Muslim women could turn away from the sport if the law is not changed.
"It is very important that everybody has the chance to play the sport that they love and obviously the laws of the games have to be amended to allow that," he was recently quoted as saying.
Contact the writer of this story at firstname.lastname@example.org
February 2012: Hijab ban is limiting participation, insists FIFA's Prince Ali
January 2012: Asian Football Confederation supports campaign to lift hijab ban on female football players
January 2012: Exclusive - "FIFA has to give same opportunities to everyone" says Prince Ali in hijab row
January 2012: French groups protest FIFA plan to lift ban on hijab
December 2011: Proposal to lift ban on hijab to be put forward to football rule-makers