Fact of the day
At the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, Fritz Thiedemann - who had commanded a German cavalry unit during World War Two before being captured towards the end and interned in a Russian prison camp - created a unique piece of history. The farmer's son earned bronze medals in both individual show jumping and team dressage to become the only rider in Olympic history to win medals in two equestrian disciplines at the same Games. He went on to gold medals in team jumping at the 1956 Olympics, when the equestrian events were held in Stockholm, and Rome 1960. The Thiedemann rein is named after him.Read more facts
The Australian Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) is the national body responsible for Commonwealth Games operations, publicity and development in Australia.
- Glasgow and Berlin to co-host first European Sports Championships in 2018
- Hickey claims new Glasgow and Berlin event poses no threat to European Games
- Mike Rowbottom: Gatlin's New Deal - Nike work if you can get it
- UAE Athletics Federation President denies watches for votes claim in IAAF election
- Great Wall to provide backdrop for ski jumping at Beijing 2022
Which major Games are you looking forward to most this year?