Fast bowler Mohammad Irfan has been banned for a year by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) after failing to report two incidents where he was approached by bookmakers over spot-fixing.
The 34-year-old, who has played four Tests, 60 One Day Internationals and 20 Twenty20 Internationals for his country, had pleaded guilty to the charges during a meeting with the PCB on Monday (March 27).
An investigation was launched in February over a betting syndicate thought to be targeting games in the Pakistan Super League (PSL), a domestic Twenty20 competition.
In a statement made by the national governing body today, it was confirmed Irfan, who is 7ft 1ins tall, had been handed a ban of one year, of which six months may be suspended should he follow a number of conditions imposed on him.
These conditions stipulate that he does not breach the PCB’s Anti-Corruption Code during his suspension, pays a fine of Rs1,000,000 (£7,681/$9,539/€8,864), assists PCB Vigilance and Security and takes part in anti-corruption education programmes during the next six months.
Irfan has also had his contract with the national team suspended.
"It is important for all players to take note and be reminded of their responsibilities and obligations under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code and that no form of corrupt activity shall ever be tolerated by the PCB," said a joint statement from the governing body's chairman Mian Shaharyar M Khan and PSL chairman Najam Sethi said.
Alongside Irfan, his Islamabad United team-mates Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif and two other players, Shazaib Hassan and Nasir Jamshed, have been provisionally suspended in connection with the investigations.
The latter was arrested by the National Crime Agency in Great Britain along with another two men, with the trio then released on bail.
Zulfiqar Babar, who plays for PSL side Quetta Gladiators, has also been questioned by the PCB.