By Tom Degun

Tyson_Gay_wins_in_Manchester_May_15_2011May 15 - Tyson Gay sent a warning to Jamaican sprint rivals Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell that he is in ominous early-season form as the American produced a blistering 150 metre sprint at Manchester's Great City Games despite the damp and grey conditions overhead.

With the World Athletics Championships in Daegu three months away, the 28-year-old brushed aside a field that included Britons Marlon Devonish and Christian Malcolm to clock 14.51sec, just 0.16 slower than the world record mark set by Bolt at the same event in 2009.

The American had set a world best for 200m on a straight track with 19.41 at the same event last year and despite falling just short of Bolt's 14.35, it was a phenomenal performance considering the poor conditions and that it was his first outing of the season.

"I've missed a lot of training this year because of a couple of little niggles and injuries so I'm pretty impressed with my performance," Gay said.

"I'm feeling pretty good, I'm a little bit sore, but nothing major.

"I came through the first 100m in 9.91, that's kind of where everyone else is in the world right now so that's not bad.

"I'm satisfied with my time, I think it's pretty fast but I've just got to stay healthy and be ready."

American Allyson Felix and Britons Andy Turner and Jessica Ennis impressed at Sunday's street meeting on Deansgate but the day, described as Manchester's 'Great Day of Sport', began with Ethiopian legend Haile Gebrselassie storming to victory in the men's 10 kilometre Great Manchester Run.

The 38-year-old icon, who is aiming to compete in the marathon at the London 2012 Olympics, won in 28min 10sec, beating Britain's Chris Thompson by over 11 seconds.

Meanwhile Britain's Helen Clitheroe set a personal best of 31:45 in triumphing in the women's race.

Back on the temporary track, Turner, the 110m hurdles European champion, produced two stunning victories in the 110m and 200m hurdles to blow away American rivals Terrence Tramell and Bershawn Jackson, as well as former Olympic 400m hurdles champion Felix Sanchez.

World and European heptathlon champion Ennis also looked in fine form and was in good spirits after competing for the first time since an ankle tendon problem ruled her out of the European Indoor Championships, leaving her unable to run for seven weeks.

A time of 12.88s for the 100m hurdles behind specialists Ginnie Crawford and fellow American Danielle Carruthers was an exceptional showing but a time of 17.40 to finish behind GB team-mate Abi Oyepitan in the 150m was less than convincing.

However, remaining injury-free was the top priority for Ennis and the 25-year-old star said it was mission accomplished.

"One massive positive to take from the day is that my ankle feels good," said Ennis.

"It's a bit of a relief to be back in competition and I'm just excited about the season now.

"If someone had said two weeks ago that I would be in Manchester running that sort of time in the hurdles, I would have been very happy with that."

Olympic 400m champion Christine Ohuruogu, another athlete looking to forget an injury-hit 2010, was well off the pace to finish fourth in the 200m in 24.48, with American Felix cruising to victory in 22.12.

Other winners included Mark Lewis-Francis and Jeanette Kwakye in the men's and women's 100m respectively and France's Martial Mbandjock in the 200m.

Earlier in the day, Britain's Keri-Anne Payne and Germany's Thomas Lurz won the elite open water race at the Great Salford Swim.

Nine-times world champion Lurz led the race from start to finish ahead of Greece's Spyridon Gianniotis, while Bulgarian Petar Stoychev was third.

Cassie Patten secured Britain's second medal in the women's race, coming third behind Switzerland's Swann Oberson.

"It was a good swim, a good performance and a good day for British swimming," said Payne, who won silver in the 10 kilometre open water swim at the Beijing 2008 Olympics and will be aiming to go one better in the event at the London 2012 Olympics.

"I needed to just go out for it and it went quite well."

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]