September 25 - Darren Sutherland's father Tony has denied on live Irish television that the Olympic bronze medallist was depressed before he hung himself in his flat in London earlier this month.

Speaking on the "Late Late Show" in Dublin, Sutherland senior stated that a list of things his son was to do the following day were on the table in the flat in London where he died.

He also said that his son had been in good spirits during a trip to Ireland shortly before he died, including giving a motivational talk to the Mayo Gaelic football team.

But Tony Sutherland stated that  he realised something was up when his son injured his eye in a recent fight, and told his father he was glad that he had to pull out of another fight he was scheduled to box in.

He said that was very unlike Sutherland, 27, not to be looking forward to a fight.

Sutherland claimed he was especially distraught that no one told them of the death of their son for hours after he had been found dead by his manager Frank Maloney.

He stated they received "no call” from anybody.

He said they were also deeply upset that the body had been held for a post mortem, and that they were unable to bring it back to Ireland immediately.

At one point host Ryan Tubridy stopped the conversation because of possible legal implications, leading to speculation that a lawsuit from the Sutherland family might be in the imminent.

Earlier, Maloney (pictured) said Sutherland had joined him and his wife for a Chinese meal two days before he died, before watching the talent show X Factor on television.

Maloney said: "He asked if he could come back to the house and watch it on television.

"After he left, he seemed in quite a happy mood."

Maloney explained he had been the one who discovered Sutherland's body, when he went to the boxer's flat after he failed to answer telephone calls.

He said: "I was with Joe Dunbar, a sports psychologist.

"Thank heavens, I wasn't on my own but I did walk in first.

"I think I started talking to him, to be truthful.

"I'm sure I did.

"The next thing I knew the police were here and the paramedics were here.

"I think I broke down after that."

Maloney was taken to hospital with heart problems after the incident.

Tests later revealed that he had suffered a heart attack probably while he was at the ringside in Brentwood, Essex, watching one of his other fighters, John McDermott, lose on points to Tyson Fury.

Maloney said he had yet to come to terms with Sutherland's death.

He said: "I feel numb about it, to be truthful.

"I still can't come to the reasons why he done it.

"Why would someone, at 27, with the world at their feet, do this?

"To do something like that you have got to be very low.

"I have been very low in my life and many other people have but, to go that far, I just can't contemplate it."

Related stories
September 2009:
Mourners file past Sutherland coffin
September 2009: Sutherland inquest adjourned
September 2009: Tributes paid to Sutherland after death
September 2009: Irish Olympic boxing medallist found dead