England's Rob Cross beat The Netherlands Raymond van Barneveld 3-1 in the second round of the World Darts Championship in London ©Getty Images

England's Rob Cross recovered from a set down to defeat The Netherlands' Raymond van Barneveld in the second round of the World Darts Championship in Alexandra Palace in London in a match featuring two former winners of the event.

Despite Cross hailing from Pembury, less than 60 miles from the host venue, the crowd were firmly behind 2007 world champion Van Barneveld, who produced a blistering first set.

It included a 13-dart opener, the second 170 finish of the tournament, and double top for the 54-year-old to claim it 3-1.

The 31-year-old Cross responded by making a dramatic improvement taking his first-set average from 77 to 103.29.

The 2018 champion, a title he won only 11 months after turning professional, landed a 128 finish in the second leg before taking out 93 to level a thrilling contest which already featured eight 180s.

Cross took control from that moment to close out a 3-1 victory.

He is now set to face Northern Ireland's Daryl Gurney.

The 35-year-old 22nd seed from Derry breezed past Cross' compatriot Ricky Evans 3-1.

The Netherland's 18 seed Danny Noppert, made his fourth appearance at Alexandra Palace, came from a set down to defeat debutant Jason Heaver of England.

Heaver has shown his potential after reaching the semi-finals of Players Championship 7 earlier this year, and he finished the opening set 3-1 with 75 per cent on the doubles, but the Dutchman got his game together to level the scores courtesy of a 104 checkout.

Despite the modest averages, Noppert cruised through the next two sets to earn a place in the third round and a meeting with England's.

Searle had demolished William Borland of Scotland 3-0.

Germany's Gabriel Clemens landed a stunning 143 on his way to a comprehensive victory against an out-of-sorts Welshman Lewy Williams.

In a match which saw the millionth dart thrown in the World Darts Championship, which first took place in 1994, the German Giant eased through 3-0 to set up a meeting with another Welsh player in Jonny Clayton.

The tournament will now take a break for the Christmas celebrations before resuming on Monday (December 27) with the third round.