Would you like to work for a sports news media organisation that is at the top of its field, invests in journalism, is agile and a game-changer?
Dunsar Media, and its flagship platform, insidethegames.biz, are bucking the trend of the journalism industry by continuing to expand its editorial team, and are now hiring an additional Desk Editor to join the team. The team works together on a 7-day rotating shift pattern and will lead our editorial coverage through Tokyo 2020 and beyond.
insidethegames.biz is a multi-award-winning Olympics news website, covering the business and politics behind the Olympic Movement, that was voted Best In Sports Media at the Sports Business Awards, seeing off the likes of Sky Sport and the Olympic Channel.
The role of Desk Editor at insidethegames.biz is a highly rewarding experience. Working with a talented team of journalists, we regularly set the international sports news agenda and cover the global stories that really matter.
You will get a real thrill from seeing your work and that of your team reach some of the most famous and important decision-makers in world sport while knowing that you work for the most respected and well-regarded publication in its field.
Our awards and ever-rising web traffic are testament to the importance of the brilliant editorial copy we produce, copy which is produced to an extremely high standard.
You will have the chance to sub and write the stories which matter and work with an ambitious young team who travel across the world reporting from sports events and meetings.
Job role: Desk Editor
Job purpose: To help oversee operation of the busy news desk, which produces self-sourced copy and publishes seven days a week
Location: Central Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
Salary: DOE + regular bonus based on performance and profits, + regular pay rises
Benefits: Full Vitality Private Healthcare, including full cancer cover and dental, plus Life Assurance and Aviva Pension
Experience required: At least three years’ experience in journalism
Skills and experience required
- A good news sense, be organised and have an impeccable eye for detail.
- A passion for accuracy and grammar, able to understand and conform quickly to house style.
- Ability to work effectively and enthusiastically as part of a small team working on several projects simultaneously.
- Effective time management skills to juggle multiple and frequent deadlines.
- Resilient; we work long and hard to ensure that every single detail is as accurate as it is possible for it to be. We are a news website and news breaks at anytime, anywhere in the world. We lead our world and report the news as-it-happens.
- Adaptability; we are a small and agile business. We move quickly to make things happen.
- Confidence to take responsibility and to instil more efficient, effective working systems.
- Experience working on digital platforms and some print magazines, both in-house and for clients.
- Understand and be used to using Facebook and Twitter to promote editorial copy.
- Have an interest in the politics of sport, not solely an interest in reporting sport.
- Can think globally. We are a global publication with most traffic coming from outside the UK. Most readers do not have English as their first language.
- Be an anchor to our roving editorial team – at times you may be the only person in the UK.
- Work to a seven-day shift pattern. Your shift would be in rotation with the other desk editors, the editor and chief senior reporter.
- Can communicate
- effectively with all levels – with the owners, managers and reporters, as well as people starting their career.
- face-to-face, via phone, email and digital means such as Skype, Teams and What’s App.
- Be digital and social savvy.
- Self-starters preferred.
- Work to ensure all duties are completed and all publications are published on time and the news desk runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Ensure that all articles that need to go live on the website and be published in our print magazines are subbed and are ready for publication.
- Source news stories.
- Source the most appropriate images for articles.
- Make copy live.
- Social network all articles.
- Help the Magazine Manager to produce printed publications from flat plan to distribution.
- Create the Daily and Weekly and client-specific email e-alerts on a regular basis.
- Manage, train, encourage and develop the editorial team.
- Organise the editorial team and the freelancers, including, eventually, managing the rota.
- The No.1 Olympic news website in the world.
- We report on the business, politics and bid process behind the global Olympic Movement.
- The world’s most influential independent Olympic and Commonwealth Games news website, read by sport’s most powerful and best-known powerbrokers, setting the agenda in the multi-billion-dollar Olympic marketplace every day.
- A global readership. 28% Americas, 42% Europe, 20% Asia, 7% Oceania, 3% Africa.
- Monthly page impressions over 12 million, monthly visits over 1.6 million, monthly unique visitors over half a million.
- Daily email e-alert has an open-rate of 45%. People read our news.
- Our Alexa world ranking averages 56,184 in the world. Alexa measures 1.5 billion website URL’s, of which under 200 million are active. (Google.com = 1)
- We expand our editorial team every year and now run a 14-strong team which we are looking to expand over time.
- We have a business model that works, which relies on the highest quality journalism, which means we invest in journalism not sales and admin staff.
Dunsar Media - Awards
A publisher with original and ground-breaking journalism at its very heart.
- Winner - Online Journalist of the Year – Duncan Mackay - British Sports Journalist Awards 2009.
- Winner - Most Promising New Business – Bucks Chamber of Commerce Awards 2010.
- Shortlisted – Best Print Publication of 2012 – British Media Awards 2013.
- Winner – Best Freelance Writer – David Owen - Online Media Awards 2015.
- Commendation - Best Commercial Innovation – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Best Brand Development – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Nominated - Best Column – David Owen - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Winner – Sambo Journalist of the Year 2015 - Daniel Etchells – FIAS Awards 2016.
- Winner – Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2017.
- Nominated – Young Sports Writer – Liam Morgan - SJA Awards 2018.
- Commendation - Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2018.
- Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - AIPS Awards 2019.
- Winner – Best Media Partner 2019 – FISU Awards 2019.
Our young team is dedicated and hardworking, prepared to stretch themselves to produce the best and most relevant news for our readers on this industry-leading website. With your help, they could be even better.
We work from modern offices in a prime location in the very heart of Milton Keynes.
How to apply
Please send a current CV AND a separate covering letter to [email protected], explaining why you are the right fit for this role, what you could offer a website like www.insidethegames.biz and why you should work for an exciting young and progressive publishing house like Dunsar Media.
Only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Please note, whilst we welcome applications from all nationalities, due to the nature of our editorial copy, the successful applicant will require an excellent command of both written and spoken English. This role is office-based.
We welcome your application and look forward to meeting you.