You probably won’t win an Olympic gold medal, but you can work for the world’s best Olympic news website.
Dunsar Media, and its flagship platform, insidethegames.biz, a company which is bucking the trend of the journalism industry by continuing to expand its editorial team, is hiring a new Desk Editor due to the current one relocating abroad for family reasons.
We are a multi-award-winning website voted the Best In Sports Media prize at the Sports Business Awards in 2017, seeing off the likes of Sky Sports and the Olympic Channel.
The role of Desk Editor at insidethegames.biz is a highly-rewarding experience. Working with a talented team of journalists, we regularly set the agenda in the international sports media and we cover the global stories that really matter.
It is a real thrill to see our work reach some of the most famous and important people in sport while knowing that you work for such a respected and well-regarded publication.
The awards we have won and the ever-rising web traffic are testament to the importance of the good work which is being done, and done to an extremely high standard.
You will have the chance to sub and write the stories which matter and work with a talented young team who travel across the world.
Job role: Desk Editor
Job purpose: To help oversee operation of the busy news desk, which produces copy and publishes seven days a week.
Location: Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire
Salary: DOE + regular bonus based on performance and profits, + regular pay rises.
Benefits: Full Vitality Private Healthcare, including full cancer cover and dental, plus Life Assurance and Aviva Pension
Experience required: At least two years’ experience in journalism.
Skills and experience required
- A good news sense, be organised and have an impeccable eye for detail.
- A passion for accuracy and grammar, able to understand and conform quickly to house style.
- Ability to work effectively and enthusiastically as part of a small team working on several projects simultaneously.
- Effective time management skills to juggle multiple and frequent deadlines.
- Adaptability; the confidence to take responsibility and to instil more efficient, effective working systems.
- Work on mainly digital platforms (website, mobile site, email e-alerts) with some print magazines, both in-house and for clients.
- Understand and be used to using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to promote editorial copy.
- Have an interest in the politics of sport, not solely an interest in reporting sport.
- Can think globally.
- Be an anchor to our roving editorial team – at times you may be the only person in the team in the UK.
- The editorial team work to a seven-day shift pattern and your shift would be in rotation with the editor and senior reporter.
- Can communicate effectively with the owners and managers as well as people starting their career.
- Can communicate face-to-face, via phone, via email and via digital means such as Skype messaging and What’s App.
- Self-starters preferred.
- Work in a to ensure all duties are completed, all publications are published on time and the news desk runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Ensure that all articles that need to go live on the website and be published in our print magazines are subbed and are ready for publication.
- Source the most appropriate images for articles.
- Make copy live.
- Social network all articles.
- Help the Magazine Manager to produce printed publications from flat plan to distribution.
- Create the Daily and Weekly and Client-specific e-alerts on a regular basis.
- Manage, train, encourage and develop the editorial team.
- Organise the editorial team and the freelancers, including managing the rota.
- The No.1 Olympic news website in the world.
- The world’s most influential independent Olympic and Commonwealth Games news website, read by sport’s most powerful and best-known powerbrokers, setting the agenda in the multi-billion-dollar Olympic marketplace every day.
- We report on the business, politics and bid process behind the global Olympic Movement.
- A global readership. 42% Americas, 39% Europe, 10% Asia, 5% Oceania, 4% Africa.
- Monthly page impressions over 10 million, monthly visits over 1.5 million, monthly unique visitors over half-a-million.
- We currently rank in the top 65,000 websites in the world in the Alexa world rankings which measures 300 million URL’s. (Google.com = 1)
- We have expanded our editorial team every year and now run a team which is 13-strong and looking to expand.
- We have a business model that works and which relies on the highest quality journalism, which means we invest in journalism not sales and admin staff.
Dunsar Media - Awards
A publisher with original and ground-breaking journalism at its very heart.
- Winner - Online Journalist of the Year – Duncan Mackay - British Sports Journalist Awards 2009.
- Winner - Most Promising New Business – Bucks Chamber of Commerce Awards 2010.
- Shortlisted – Best Print Publication of 2012 – British Media Awards 2013.
- Winner – Best Freelance Writer – David Owen - Online Media Awards 2015.
- Commendation - Best Commercial Innovation – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Best Brand Development – Online Media Awards 2015.
- Nominated - Best Column – David Owen - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
- Winner – Sambo Journalist of the Year 2015 - Daniel Etchells – FIAS Awards 2016.
- Winner – Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2017
- Nominated – Young Sports Writer – Liam Morgan - SJA Awards 2018
- Commendation - Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2018
- Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - AIPS Awards 2019
Our young team is dedicated and hardworking, prepared to stretch themselves to produce the best and most relevant news for our readers on this industry-leading website. With your help, they could be even better.
How to apply
Please send a current CV AND a separate covering letter to [email protected], explaining why you are the right fit for this role, and what you could offer a website like www.insidethegames.biz and an exciting young and progressive publishing house like Dunsar Media.
All applications should be submitted by Monday 28th January 2019.
- 1st interviews Week commencing Monday 4th February 2019.
- 2nd interviews Week commencing Monday 11th February 2019.
Immediate start for the right person.
Only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Please note, whilst we welcome applications from all nationalities, due to the nature of our editorial copy, the successful applicant will require an excellent command of both written and spoken English. This role is office-based and our office is in Stony Stratford in Buckinghamshire. www.stonystratford.co.uk. Experience tells us that it is not possible to commute this role from London or the Midlands. We welcome your application and look forward to meeting you.
About our location
Stony Stratford is a thriving small picturesque market town within the unitary authority of Milton Keynes. Steeped in history, Stony Stratford sits on the old Roman road of Watling Street in the north west corner of Buckinghamshire and has many independent shops, restaurants and businesses along with a small Saturday market and monthly farmers market.
Central Milton Keynes, which has one of the largest collections of public sculptures in the UK, is just over 5 miles away and boasts a unique world-class undercover shopping centre, bars, restaurants, theatres and art gallery. It has world-famous extreme sports facilities and a cultural calendar packed with great events including an innovative International Festival and one of the most successful theatres in the South East. Milton Keynes is well known for its green spaces which include parks, woods and lakes which make up 20% of the city.
Stony Stratford and Milton Keynes are linked by a grid road system for ease of movement as well as strong bus links and Redways - which are more than 270 kilometres of safe routes that cyclists and pedestrians can use to explore the area.
With easy access from many major routes Milton Keynes is the fastest growing place in the UK, with a strong economy and an increasingly diverse population of around 250,000.