OSCAR PISTORIUS (pictured) has admitted that qualifying for the London 2012 Olympics is a more realistic goal than getting to Beijing this year.
The 21-year-old South African double amputee, nicknamed "Blade Runner", has said that he will try to qualify for Beijing by running the 400 metres at a meeting in Milan on June 2 after his ban in competing in able-bodied events was lifted.
His target of 45.55 is more than a second quicker than his Paralympic world record of 46.56 and it would require a significant improvement for him to make it to the Olympics.
Pistorius said: "A lot of the time this year we've devoted to the court case.
"Now when I get home my time can be dedicated to training.
"I am going to have to start getting my body in shape in order to run those qualifying times.
"I am hopeful there will be enough time but it is going to be very difficult.
"At least the door is open for the future - I can run in able-bodied meets.
There will be world champs next year, the 2012 Olympics.
"In all honesty, it will be extremely difficult to qualify for Beijing."
Even if he is successful and gets the 400m qualifying standard for the Olympic Games in August, he still plans to return to Beijing for the Paralympic a few weeks later.
Pistorius said: "Most definitely. I have learned so much from them I will definitely be there whether or not I make the Olympics - they are so special"
The Pretoria-based star is also eager to return to the United Kingdom where in atrocious conditions at last July's Sheffield Super Grand Prix, he was disqualified after running out of his lane.
But Fast Track, who organise domestic meetings on behalf of UK Athletics, have already said if Pistorius won his adjudication, they would welcome him back at events in London or Gateshead.
Pistorius said: "I'd love to come back again, the British organisers were so supportive of me when I ran in Sheffield last year."