Fears over terrorism have forced the World Squash Federation (WSF) to move this year's World Junior Championships from Cairo, they announced today.
It follows a deadly terrorist attack at a museum in Tunis on Wednesday (March 18) when 21 people, including 17 tourists, were killed and 43 injured by ISIS gunmen.
The attack in Tunisia's capital has now forced the WSF to try to find a new location for the event, which had been due to take place in the Egyptian capital from July 25 until August 4.
"During the last few weeks the WSF has been reviewing and evaluating the World Junior Championships in Cairo, reading and listening to the many comments and concerns from our Member National Federations," said Hugo Hannes, chairman of the WSF Competitions Committee.
"Today the [WSF] Board has come to the conclusion that, due to the perception of some parents about the extreme radicalism in the region - not specific to Egypt and heightened by the tragic killing of tourists in Tunisia - and because of the pressure of those parents on their Federation, it is an inappropriate time for teams of youngsters to travel to Egypt to compete in the World Junior Championships in Cairo.
"So the Championships will be relocated if possible."
An advisory on the website of the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office warns of the risks of travelling to Egypt at the moment.
"There is a high threat from terrorism," said the advisory.
"We believe that terrorists continue to plan attacks.
"Attacks could be indiscriminate and occur without prior warning.
"Attacks targeting foreigners can't be ruled out."
Cairo had been awarded the Championships by the WSF last September.
It would have been the first time they had hosted the event since 1996.
"The decision to cancel the event in Cairo has been taken with reluctance but, based upon prevailing circumstances, we feel it is the prudent approach," said Hannes.
"While appreciating and thanking the Egyptian Squash Federation for all their efforts in preparing for the event, the WSF hopes that the Egyptian Squash Federation understands the need to have the event relocated.
"The probable intention of a number of countries not to send their players and teams would have affected the World Championships enormously and would not have been good for squash in general nor for the Egyptian Squash Federation in particular.
"It is hoped that WSF will be able to return to the country with another Championship in the not too distant future."
The WSF is now seeking a new host country to stage the event.
"At this time WSF is encouraging any prospective hosts, who may be able to maintain the dates and participating nation cost levels, to let us know of their interest in the event," said Hannes.
In February 2014 a bomb attack on a tourist bus in the Sinai peninsula killed three South Korean tourists and an Egyptian.
Last month football in Egypt was suspended after at least 40 people were killed and dozens injured in a stampede and clashes between police and supporters of Zamalek football club at a game in Cairo.
Relations between security forces and fan groups known as Ultras have been tense since the 2011 popular uprising, when football supporters played a key role in ending the rule of Hosni Mubarak.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
September 2014: Cairo awarded World Junior Squash Championships