The World Taekwondo Peace Corps (TPC) was launched in 2008 with the theme of "World Peace through the Great Taekwondo Spirit".
The members of the TPC are volunteers armed with one of the greatest spiritual heritages of Korea, "the taekwondo spirit”, and they work worldwide with the values of that to spread peace.
The TPC members are young men and women who have the will and capability to bring peace to the world despite a harsh environment.
They are considered a great resource of Korea and are dispatched to developing and developed countries in order to spread peace through the art of taekwondo.
Furthermore, they promote mutual understanding, friendship and peace, regardless of gender, ethnicity or religion.
Due to the initial success of the TPC programme, the World Taekwondo Peace Corps Foundation was officially established in 2009 to help elevate its efficiency and scale.
The mission of the TPC is to:
- Help the youth of developing countries to build a dream and provide hope that poverty can be overcome
- Help promote mutual understanding of Korean culture and foreign cultures
- Help share, like the sport of taekwondo, that a unified rule and understanding can help transcend ethnic and national boundaries, thus helping to promote global peace
The purpose of the TPC is to:
- To serve as a pillar for the future growth of taekwondo and bring energy to young people all over the world in order to create peace and harmony for the future development of the sport
- Communicate peace, fortitude and love of neighbours, and provide hope and service in a world that is suffering from poverty, all in the spirit of taekwondo
Activities of the TPC
Education of taekwondo
- Providing materials and information
Voluntary service to understand and communicate each other’s cultures
- Helping participants understand Korean culture and vice versa
- Creating continuous networks of countries by dispatching volunteers and educating taekwondo throughout the world
- Forming friendships to encourage people to visit Korea
Taekwondo Peace Corps in action
In August 2018, four members of the TPC in South Korea visited Ghana Olympic Committee vice-president Paul Atchoe after spending several weeks teaching taekwondo techniques in the country.
They were accompanied by Fred Lartey Otu, President of the Ghana Taekwondo Federation, and his technical director, Stephen Amegashie.
The team, made up of graduates in the sport, coached children and youths in the Volta and Western Regions.