November 5 - Organisers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil were today forced to defend their capabilities of hosting the event after security concerns were raised following the cancellation of the Soccerex Global Convention in Rio de Janeiro.
Just moments before the World Cup briefing, which took place at the World Travel Market here, was due to begin; the story of the cancellation broke across the media.
As the Organising Committee, including Brazil's World Cup legend Ronaldo, who appeared alongside chief executive Ricardo Trade and ambassador Carlos Cardim, took their seats ready to discuss the progress being made in preparation for the event, they were instead flocked by an array of question regarding security.
They were hoping to talk about the stadiums awaiting the players next July, as well as the exceptional response the World Cup tickets had received.
Instead, they had to fend off question after question regarding the security concerns that this cancellation of Soccerex had raised.
"It's not a problem for us," explained Trade.
"The Federal Government gave a guarantee to FIFA to guarantee security around the stadiums."
FIFA marketing director Thierry Weil, who also appeared at the event, denied the cancellation would have any effect on next year's World Cup.
"It's a pity it has been cancelled - it is never good when you cancel such an event - but this won't impact on the World Cup," he said.
Although the cancellation has been put down to a lack of funding by by Rio State Government, the news brought about fresh concerns over security following the violent protests seen during the Confederations Cup in Brazil earlier this year.
"What happened at the Confederations Cup was a surprise to all of us," said Weil.
"But it was managed.
"The fans that bought these tickets, they knew what happened at the Confederations Cup.
"They trust the organisers."
But, when pushed about recent violence in Rio de Janeiro, where residents have been protesting about the substantial cost of the World Cup, Weil snapped.
"You have six million requests for tickets, so are you saying the world is afraid?" he said.
Ronaldo, who played in four World Cups for Brazil, including wins in 1994 and 2002, expressed sympathy with the Rio protestors.
"The people are going out onto the streets to show their displeasure about how they were treated for so long, so they wanted change," Ronaldo said through a translator.
"I am in favour of any non-violent protests.
"Brazilians are tired of being ignored for so many years and want the Government to respond to that weariness."
But, he said, he "continues to believe in the World Cup".
The briefing also brought about questions concerning the ticket prices for the World Cup and the soaring hotel and travel prices being seen in the 12 host cities.
Trade was keen to emphasise the point that the Government has set up a commission to monitor these prices and he and his committee were doing all they could to implement a plan to find reasonable accommodation for all fans.
"I assure them [the fans] that we have a good country for them to visit and be with their families and say, 'Hey, that's a good country, they play football, they celebrate well, they organise well, and they are beautiful, they have nice beaches and I'll return here with my family in the future'," he said.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
October 2013: Rio deny Soccerex claims conference cancelled because of civil unrest and instead blame them for lack of funding
June 2013: Defiant Brazilian President calls for calm in national address as protest death toll rises
June 2013: FIFA back Brazil to carry on hosting Confederations Cup as riots escalate
June 2013: David Owen - Protests show it's time for Big Sport to shake off complacency