By Duncan Mackay

Edith Bosch in television interviewApril 5 - Holland's Edith Bosch, who earned notoriety at London 2012 when she tried to restrain a man who threw a bottle at Usain Bolt before the start of the Olympic 100 metres final, has announced that she plans to retire later this month.

The 32-year-old judoka, who won a bronze medal in the 70 kilogram category in London, told Dutch national broadcaster NOS today that the European Championships, which is due to take place in Budapest between April 25 and 27, will be her last competition.

Bosch had also won a bronze medal at Beijing 2008 and a silver at Athens 2004.

She also won a World Championship title, at Cairo in 2005, along with a bronze at Osaka in 2003 and silver in Paris 2011, and four European titles. 

Edith Bosch competing at London 2012Edith Bosch throws Mika Sugimoto of Japan on her way to an Olympic bronze medal at London 2012

"I can hardly believe what I've accomplished," Bosch told NOS. 

"The [Olympic] Games of Rio [2016] are too far away and then there was no longer a challenge, because of everything I've achieved.

"It's scary and exciting to stop."

Bosch works as a manager for Nederlandse Spoorwegen, the Dutch railway operator.

"Sometimes I'm certainly sad and am certainly going to miss judo, but actually it's quite nice what I have experienced," she said.

For all her achievements on the judo mat, Bosch will be remembered by many for what happened in Olympic Stadium last August when she confronted Ashley Gill-Webb after he threw a plastic beer bottle on the track and shouted abuse at Bolt in the seconds before the start of the 100m.

Edith Bosch at London 2012 in bottle thrower incidentEdith Bosch, circled, in the Olympic Stadium at London 2012 as Ashley Webb-Gill throws a bottle before the start of the men's 100m

In a statement read at Gill-Webb's trial in London in January, Bosch said she was angry at his "disrespectful" actions when she shoved him in the back.

Gill-Web was convicted of public disorder and given an eight-week community order and fined £1,500 ($2,360/€1,743) costs.

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]

Related stories
August 2012: Man arrested after bottle thrown on to track moments before start of 100 metres final