May 26 - Representatives of the prospective training camps for foreign teams competing at the 2016 Olympic Games have attended a meeting arranged by the Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
More than 350 venues were selected across 150 cities and towns across Brazil, and the event at the Naval College was attended by Rio State Governor Sérgio Cabral, Rio 2016 President Carlos Nuzman and Americas Paralympic Committee President Andrew Parsons.
"The Games will take place in Rio, but it belongs to Brazil," said Nuzman.
"This is an opportunity to upgrade these venues and develop sports participation in the five regions of the country, in addition to promoting tourism in the cities selected.
"This will be the legacy for the population and the generations to come."
Cabral spoke of the impact of the legacy of the Games on Brazil.
"The greatest selling point of Rio de Janeiro's Olympic and Paralympic bid was that we would be able to leave, through the Games, a legacy for Rio, Brazil and South America," he said.
There had been problems for applicants in the registration process, which meant that Agberto Guimarães, the Rio 2016 Sports Director, had extended the deadline until May 30.
The registration and selection process will identify those facilities meeting the requirements of International Federations for National Olympic and Paralympic Committees.
The process reaches its conclusion next January after several stages, including inspections and technical reports on the proposed venues.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]