January 12 - London 2012 transport chiefs today revealed that drivers face fines of around £200 ($314) if they enter any of the highly controversial "Games Lanes" which will be in operation during the Olympics.
The lanes, part of the Olympic Route Network (ORN), will run along more than 60 miles of London's roads and only be accessible to vehicles from the Olympic family carrying the likes of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members, athletes and officials between accommodation and venues.
The ORN will be used by around 82,000 people during the Games and cost £25 million ($39 million) to run.
The lanes originally faced criticism when plans were unveiled last year and there is likely to be further frustration for Londoners who will now face penalties for entering them even though they may be difficult to spot.
Speaking to the London Assembly at City Hall, Hugh Sumner, director of transport at the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA), said: "It is feasible for drivers to face penalties of up to £5,000 ($7,860) for driving in the Olympic lanes but we feel that is a disproportionate amount for the offence.
"It is far more likely that there will be a £200 ($314) penalty which will be reduced to £100 ($157) with prompt payment.
"That figure is yet to be finalised but I am quite certain any fine for driving in the Olympic lanes wouldn't exceed £200 ($314) by very much.
"Any offenders will be picked up by CCTV but we aim to make it very clear to drivers where the lanes are so that they do not venture into them by mistake."
The lanes will be in areas such as Wembley Stadium and central London right out to the main Games site at Stratford.
Measures will include closing side roads, banning turns and altering traffic light sequences on more than 100 miles in London and about 170 miles outside.
Richard George, the director of transport for London 2012, said the lanes will undoubtedly cause problems for London's regular motorists but confirmed they must be in place as part of an agreement between the city and the IOC.
George said: "When London won the right to host the Games in 2005, we made a number of promises to the IOC regarding an Olympic Route Network.
"Our task is to honour that commitment while trying to disrupt travel in London during the Games by as little as possible.
"We have a constant, on-going dialogue with the IOC where we renegotiate travel plans, but the fact is that Olympic lanes are something that are in place at every Games and something that must be there to ensure the smooth running of the competitions."
Sumner added that he expects around "a third" of Londoners to change their travel plans during the 2012 Games but that later-running public transport will be in operation to ensure spectators watching events can return home safely.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
November 2010: 2012 transport restrictions could have "serious" effect on Londoners
August 2010: Exclusive - Use public transport during London 2012 Tories tell IOC
August 2010: Exclusive - IOC still have fears over traffic for London 2012
August 2010: ODA appoints PR company to handle transport plans for London 2012
July 2010: London 2012 reveal details of Olympic lanes