The World Athletics U20 Championships due to be held in Nairobi from August 17 to 22 will be held behind closed doors, Sports Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed has announced.
"The event will be spectator free unless the situation changes for the better and we get a green light from World Athletics," Amina said.
"Most of the major events like the Olympics are spectator-free.
"We are going to set up screens in Nairobi and across the country for fans to follow the event."
There have so far been 192,000 cases of COVD-19 in Kenya with 3,754 deaths.
The country is currently averaging under 500 new cases per week.
The announcement was made after Amina - accompanied by the Championships chief executive Myke Rabar and Jackson Tuwei, President of the Organising Committee and of Athletics Kenya - had inspected the newly laid Mondo track at the Moi International Sports Center Kasarani within Kenyatta University.
Amina expressed satisfaction with the progress made so far for the Championships, at which athletes from around 120 countries are expected, and confidence that all would be ready in time to host the athletes, Citizen TV reported.
"We have been assured that this tartan track is of the international standards and if a record is broken it will be ratified by the World Athletics." Amin added.
"We will hand over the facility to the Kenyatta University once it is complete."
Up to 1,300 competitors from 128 countries are expected to compete in the Championships which have previously been the launchpad for the successful careers of athletes like Ethiopia’s Haile Gebrselassie and the Jamaican Usain Bolt.
"We are more than ready for the World Under-20 Athletics Championships and as I have been saying, this will give us an advantage because it has opened more opportunities for us to host major events in future," Amina said.
Tuwei claimed all the necessary measures had been finalised for the Championships, which were postponed from 2020, adding that Kenya’s junior team had already started work in its bubble training camp.
"As you know, bubble camps are now a requirement for the major events," Tuwei said.
"With the teams leaving for Tokyo [Olympic] Games, we saw it fit that the juniors take over so that we can prepare them properly for the junior Championships."
Kenyatta University vice-chancellor Professor Paul Wainaina claimed the facility will be of great impact to the University.
"The students, community have been waiting for this project for the last one year, we hope that the other elements that is adding two lanes of the track will be done in time," he said.
"The standard of our game is going to go up."