World Archery has extended its delay on all international competitions through until the end of June because of the coronavirus pandemic.
World Archery’s Executive Committee announced earlier this month that it was stopping all international competitions until April 30 because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
That stoppage has now been extended until the end of June with the decision taken following the postponement of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo on Tuesday (March 24) and because of the continuing global restrictions on travel and the staging of events because of the pandemic.
Events due to be held in May and postponed as a result of the delay to international competition are stage two of the Archery World Cup in Antalya in Turkey from May 11 to 17 and the European Archery Championships from May 20 to 26, also in Antalya.
A host of events scheduled to be held in June have also been postponed - the world ranking event in Medellin in Colombia from June 1 to 7, leg two of the Asia Cup in Gwangju in Korea from June 7 to 12, the European Grand Prix in Porec in Croatia from June 9 to 13, the para world ranking event in Nove Mesto in the Czech Republic from June 15 to 21 and stage three of the Archery World Cup in Berlin in Germany from June 21 to 28.
A strategy for rescheduling competitions in 2020 has also been approved.
In a statement World Archery said: "We intend to hold as many international events as possible during the remainder of this outdoor season so that athletes have an opportunity to compete on the world stage, and the Federation can fulfil its obligations to broadcasters and partners.
"However, events will only be rescheduled when the situation improves.
"The new dates of any event will be announced no later than two months in advance, giving teams and athletes an adequate and equal period to prepare, and organisers a shortened but clear registration timeline.
For example, if an event is rescheduled to start on July 1 2020, it will be announced no later than May 1.
"In the meantime, registration for all international events has been closed.
"World Archery staff will now work with the organisers of the tournaments that have been affected and potential future hosts to generate multiple options for a replacement calendar.
"This will ensure that there is no delay in recommencing international competition as soon as the current public health crisis improves".
Meanwhile, World Archery's Executive Committee expressed its support for the International Olympic Committee over the decision to delay the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Following the postponement of this summer's Olympic and Paralympic Games, World Archery said they would reassess the qualification procedures once the calendar for the rest of the year is confirmed.
The announcement of the calendar for the 2021 Indoor Archery World Series and the rest of next year has also been delayed.
"As an athlete, one of the most difficult things has been the uncertainty.
“We all want to compete but we want to do so when we have had the time to train and when the event will take place in safe circumstances".
“It is difficult to hear that there won’t be any tournaments until after June.
"But it is the right choice to give this crisis time to heal and for everyone to prepare properly for when we can return to the competition field".