The International Cricket Council (ICC) has released a statement saying their "thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the families and friends of those effected" following a deadly mass shooting at two mosques in Christchurch in New Zealand which has led to a Test match against Bangladesh being cancelled.
A total of 49 people have so far been confirmed dead and at least 20 are wounded after one alleged gunman, who had Australian citizenship, entered the places of worship and began shooting.
The Bangladesh team, currently on tour in New Zealand, narrowly avoided being caught up in the attack.
The third match in the series, which had been due to start today at the Hagley Oval in Christchurch, has been called off as a result.
The shooting was streamed live on Facebook by the gunman, who wore a head mounted camera throughout.
Two other men and one woman have also been arrested according to the local police, though one of those individuals has already been cleared of involvement.
The attack was the deadliest in New Zealand’s history.
"Our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by this horrendous incident in Christchurch," ICC chief executive David Richardson said.
"Both teams, staff and match officials are safe and the ICC fully supports the decision to cancel the Test match."
Alhamdulillah Allah save us today while shooting in Christchurch in the mosque...we r extremely lucky...never want to see this things happen again....pray for us— Mushfiqur Rahim (@mushfiqur15) March 15, 2019
The Bangladesh team had arrived at the Al Noor mosque near the Hagley Oval, as the shooting started.
Wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim tweeted that the team was "extremely lucky".
"Allah saved us today," he wrote.
"Never want to see this things happen again."
Mohammed Isam, a reporter for ESPN with the team at the time, has been widely quoted as saying the team sheltered on a bus while shots rang out inside the mosque.
"It was very traumatic there and people were running out from that mosque presumably and the Bangladesh players were coming out," Australian news network ABC quote him as saying.
"They are in terrible and severe mental [distress], they’re not feeling well.
"They were just outside the mosque about to get off from the bus and go into the mosque when they heard shooting and a lot of people running out and they saw someone wounded in front of them."
The Bangladesh Cricket Board released a statement saying the team are now safely back in their hotel, while the chief executive of New Zealand Cricket said they are "shocked and appalled" by the attack.
"We are offering support to all those within the teams affected by the situation and are continuing to take advice from authorities on the ground," he said.
Shooting also took place at a second mosque in the nearby suburb of Linwood.
A man in his late 20s has been charged with murder.