By Duncan Mackay
British Sports Internet Writer of the Year
October 2 - A year after Chicago were humiliated in its campaign to host the 2016 Olympics and Paralympics its bid leader Pat Ryan (pictured) has claimed that he knew Rio de Janeiro were going to win a month before the final vote.
Today marks the first anniversary since the Brazilian city was awarded the Games by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its Session in Copenhagen.
Chicago started the race as favourites but ended up being eliminated in the first round of voting despite United States President Barack Obama jetting in on a flying visit to make a presentation to the IOC members.
But Ryan claims that he knew Chicago's bid was doomed to a failure a month before Copenhagen when the IOC Evaluation Commission gave Rio a glowing report despite widespread fears over crime and transport.
"I believed until the Evaluation Commission report came out we had a great opportunity to win,'" Ryan told the Chicago Tribune.
"After that, a blind man could have seen what the IOC wanted.
"We knew when we started [in 2006] if Rio proved to [the IOC] it could handle the Games, they would go there, because the Games never have been in South America."
But Ryan claimed he had no regrets about the failed bid which has led to widespread changes at the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and an acknowledgment that they have to improve their relations with the rest of the Olympic Movement.
"I'm not sad at all,'' Ryan told the Chicago Tribune.
"I have a very positive perspective on the bid.
"I keep telling myself this isn't a rationalisation for not winning, but I truly believe the bid left a strong legacy.''
The most tangible legacy is World Sport Chicago, which was created during the bid, and was left with funds worth $5.2 million (£3.2 million).
It has so far distributed $800,000 (£505,000) to good causes in Chicago.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
September 2010: Chicago defeat not behind Daley decision to stand down as Mayor