Ángel Maria Villar after being released form custody ©Getty Images

Ángel Maria Villar has been released from custody after being granted bail by a Spanish judge as an anti-corruption investigation continues.

The suspended Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) President was set bail at €300,000 (£268,000/$355,000).

Villar was held after being arrested on July 18 over allegations of collusion, embezzlement and falsifying documents, all of which he denies.

This followed a series of raids at offices in Madrid, including RFEF’s headquarters, and Tenerife.

The 67-year-old is also accused of seeking favours in return for being re-elected as RFEF President, with the most recent vote coming in May.

Bail has also been set for Villar’s son Gorka and RFEF vice-president Juan Padron at €150,000 (£134,000/$177,500) and €300,000 respectively.

Ramon Angel Hernandez, a member of Tenerife’s football federation, was also arrested as part of the probe.

Ángel Maria Villar has been suspended as RFEF President following his arrest ©Getty Images
Ángel Maria Villar has been suspended as RFEF President following his arrest ©Getty Images

Last week, it was confirmed that Villar had resigned from vice-president roles he held at FIFA and UEFA.

He had already been suspended for a year from his RFEF position pending the results of the investigation.

Villar has been in charge of the Federation since 1988, having played in Spain’s midfield 22 times during his playing career.

In 2015, he was fined CHF25,000 (£20,000/$25,600/€23,000) by FIFA’s Ethics Committee after failing to comply with an investigation looking at the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting awards to Russia and Qatar respectively.

During his most recent RFEF re-election, Villar’s main rival Jorge Perez withdrew from the race and demanded the vote be stopped due to irregularities in the process, a request which was refused.

Villar also served as the interim UEFA President between October 2015 and September 2016 after Michel Platini’s suspension.

His temporary tenure came to an end when Slovenia’s Aleksander Čeferin was voted in as the organisation’s President.