Rome’s bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games could be officially scrapped when the City Council meets to vote on whether to back Mayor Virginia Raggi’s decision not to support it on Thursday (September 29).
Raggi, who has expressed constant opposition to the Bid Committee’s attempt at securing the hosting rights for the event, confirmed last week that neither herself nor her Five Star Movement (M5S) political party will get behind the city's efforts.
She claimed to carry on would be "irresponsible".
The motion during the meeting is widely expected to pass due to the fact that the M5S have a majority on the City Council.
Three candidates for the Olympics and Paralympics in eight years’ time - Budapest, Los Angeles and Paris - will be left on the start line should the vote go as predicted.
Raggi’s declaration last Wednesday (September 21) effectively ended Rome’s attempt at bringing the Olympics to the city for the first time since 1960.
The decision came after Raggi had snubbed a meeting with Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) President Giovanni Malagò,
CONI and Rome 2024 President Luca di Montezemolo, however, claimed they remained positive that the bid could be revived and would go ahead, despite the opposition from the Mayor.
The gathering of the City Council is likely to put the final nail in the coffin of a bid in doubt ever since the lead up to Raggi’s election as the first-ever female Mayor of Rome in June.
It comes a week ahead of the deadline for the submission of the second Candidature Files to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) on October 7.
A war of words has erupted since Raggi’s announcement, with Rome 2024 and CONI both reacting angrily to her position.
Di Montezemolo, a former chairman of car giants Ferrari, accused the City Council in the Italian capital of "saying no to avoid responsibility" - a situation he described as "unacceptable".
The 69-year-old also said he was "unable to accept the attitude and the substance" of Raggi’s decision but said he remained "hopeful" they could carry on with the bid in an interview published in Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.
Malagò has claimed that "anything can happen", but admitted he believes it "seems unlikely to me that there will be another bid in the next 20 years".
The CONI President also raised the possibility of a lawsuit as he claimed the bid was publicly funded.
This means a lawsuit for losses is a possibility, he claimed, although it would be up to the Italian Government and its Economy Ministry to decide whether to proceed.
Rome City Council has responded by claiming they would "react" if cited over the issue, with a source telling Italian news agency ANSA that the local authority would "defend itself in courts" if necessary.
The IOC is due to elect the host city for 2024 at its Session in Lima on September 13 next year.