Germany secured their first win of the tournament by beating Slovakia ©IIHF

Germany boosted their hopes of the men’s International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) World Championship after they thrashed Slovakia 5-1 at the at the Yubileyny Sports Palace in St. Petersburg.

Having failed to win either of their opening two games, the Germans were able to move into fourth place in Group B as they produced an improved performance to earn their biggest-ever World Championship victory over Slovakia.

The Slovaks started the better of the two sides and went in front in the first period thanks to Peter Cehlarik.

But it proved to be a fleeting moment of success for his team as the Germans replied with five unanswered goals.

Patrick Hager, Patrick Reimer, Dominik Kahun, Phiip Gogulla and Brooks Macek all got on the scoresheet for Germany to ensure they got their campaign at the tournament in Russia up and running.

“We didn’t have a great start against Finland [a 5-1 loss], and I thought we changed that today," Macek said.

"We carried out the whole 60 minutes, so it was a good game for everyone."

Elsewhere in Group B, France followed Germany’s lead as they also secured their first success of the competition with a comfortable 6-2 triumph against Hungary.

Switzerland required overtime to get past a stubborn Denmark team
Switzerland required overtime to get past a stubborn Denmark team ©IIHF

There was drama in the other group as Switzerland required overtime to get past a stubborn Danish outfit 3-2 in a thrilling contest at the Moscow Ice Palace.

Having fallen 2-0 behind, the Swiss team launched a spirited fightback, with Yannick Weber halving the deficit before Nino Niederreitter struck a last-gasp leveller.

The turnaround was then complete when Eric Blum scored what proved to be the winner in overtime.

"Good for us that we didn't give up, but we have to start games better," Niederreitter said.

"We can't keep coming back like this."

Norway were another nation to record a first win as they beat Kazakhstan 4-2 in the second Group A game.