Kenya appear unable to attend the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Athletics World Championships opening tomorrow in Doha after receiving no funding from the Government, the latest in a long line of setbacks for the African nation.
Kenya's team, which is solely funded by the Government, were unable to attend the 2013 World Championships in Lyon, but had hoped to receive a budget of Ksh 8 million (£50,000/$73,000/€69,000) this time around.
This budget was to cover the travel expenses and accommodation for 19 athletes including guides and officials.
Yet, after not receiving this, they asked for an update by the Government, with Kenyan website Sports News Arena reporting how they were told by the Ministry of Sports there was no money available due to financial problems.
This could fatally harm their Rio 2016 qualification prospects, because no athletes from the nation have yet qualified for the Games and the Championships was therefore their primary opportunity to do so.
“No Paralympian has qualified for Rio and being a track and field nation this was an important event for us to compete, qualify and test ourselves before Rio,” said Kenyan National Paralympic Committee President, Agnes Oluoch.
“It is painful for Kenya to miss a World Championship in athletics.
"It is disappointing that we are treated like this, like there is no value in our events."
Kenya has enjoyed Para-athletics success in recent years, winning three gold medals at Athens 2004, five at Beijing 2008 and two at London 2012.
They also won four gold, four silver and three bronze medals at March's African Championships to qualify athletes for the World Championships, although this was not a Rio 2016 qualifying event.
Samuel Muchai, the 1500 T11 world record holder, had been expected to lead the team in the Qatari capital.
Kenya also sent only 20 athletes to compete in Paralympic events at last year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow despite qualifying 32, because 12 were not officially classified by the IPC.
Since then, the KNPC has been suspended by the IPC following months of infighting, temporarily removing Oluoch as President thereafter before she returned to the role in June.
insidethegames has contacted Doha 2015 organisers for confirmation on whether Kenya has officially withdrawn.
The Championships opens tomorrow before continuing until October 31.
April 2015: Kenyan Paralympic Committee blames former chair for IPC suspension
November 2014: Kenya National Paralympic Committee elects new chairman
February 2014: Kenyan Para-athletes miss out on places at Glasgow 2014