A report published today by the Scottish Government and partners of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games claims 93 per cent of spectators indicated Scotland was a "very good" place to visit.
The "Highlights" report pulled together a wide range of data, including visitor numbers, medal success and high street statistics to examine the impact of the Games on Glasgow and Scotland.
The 11-day event ended with the Closing Ceremony at Hampden Park on August 3 and, as well as sporting action taking place across 13 venues, there were also a number of music and cultural events taking place across Glasgow as part of the Festival 2014 initiative.
Ninety-six per cent, or 1.2 million tickets, were sold for the Live Zones during the Games.
The report revealed that 87 per cent of those surveyed rated Glasgow as a "very good" place to visit.
When asked what, if anything, they thought had or will change because of the Games, 73 per cent expected a positive legacy.
"Today's Highlights report demonstrates just how successful the XX Commonwealth Games were," said Scotland's Commonwealth Games and Sports Minister Shona Robison.
"We set out to deliver the best Games in history, and we certainly didn't disappoint.
"It was an outstanding effort by all partners involved in organising the Games and an incredible show by Team Scotland with a record medal haul of 53.
"Scotland showed it is a warm, friendly and welcoming country by opening its doors to visitors from across the Commonwealth.
"The Games have left a lasting legacy that will continue for generations and I am sure we will soon see our young stars of the future beginning to emerge as a result.
"Our high streets have also reported a substantial increase in footfall in the build-up to, and during, the Games.
"And our mascot Clyde proved to be a massive hit with locals and visitors alike, with the replica cuddly toy selling in its thousands."
Scotland finished fourth overall on the medals table, claiming nine gold, 15 silver and 19 bronze medals and the report claims that Scottish success was witnessed by more than 600,000 unique visitors to the Games and the Live Zones.
The Scottish Government and Games organisers also insist the event will be delivered within the £575.6 million ($961 million/€718 million) budget and revealed that £112.6 million ($188 million/€140 million) of this will be met through commercial receipts from sponsorship, merchandising and ticket sales.
The remaining cost of the Games is set to be covered by taxpayers, with 80 per cent coming from the Scottish Government, while the remaining 20 per cent will be met by Glasgow City Council.
"Twenty fourteen will forever be known as the Year of Glasgow," said Gordon Matheson, Leader of Glasgow City Council.
"The successful delivery of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games marked the completion of more than seven years of planning and preparation to host the biggest and best sporting and cultural celebration that Scotland has ever seen.
"It put Glasgow in the spotlight like never before and the city has emerged as the biggest winner along with our people who have been truly outstanding in welcoming the Games, the visitors and being supportive of all that hosting an event of this scale involved."
Glasgow 2014 widely regarded as a huge success, with Commonwealth Games Federation President Prince Imran describing them as the "best Games ever" in his Closing Ceremony speech.
A report published by Games organisers last week revealed that 91 per cent in a survey of 20,000 spectators said they were satisfied with the Games, while the most common words used to describe the event were "fantastic, exciting and fun".
Figures also indicated that on social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, there were 3.5 million public mentions, 500,000 social media followers and 450,000 downloads of the app specially produced for the Games.
To view the Highlights report in full, click here.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
August 2014: Half-a-million meals served, 96 per cent of tickets sold, 3.5 million mentions on social media - Glasgow 2014 in numbers
August 2014: Duke of Cambridge thanks staff for "best ever" Commonwealth Games
August 2014: Scottish Parliament pays tribute to success of Glasgow 2014
August 2014: David Grevemberg: Success of Glasgow 2014 only just starting
June 2014: Glasgow 2014 on track and on budget claim organisers, despite reports of spiralling costs