The International Boxing Association (AIBA) has said it will reassess its decision to scrap headguards after Australian boxer Daniel Lewis was denied the opportunity of boxing for at least a bronze medal here at Glasgow 2014, when a doctor deemed a cut was too severe for him to carry on in the competition.
Lewis had been due to fight India's Mandeep Jangra in a welterweight quarter-final bout today, but after having a cut he sustained in his round-of-16 win over Nigeria's Kehinde Ademuyiwa on Monday assessed, he was told he was out of the competition.
The decision sees Jangra given a walkover into the semi-finals, guaranteeing him at least a bronze medal.
Lewis was furious with the decision and took to Facebook to vent his anger, calling on the AIBA to bring back headguards.
"For all these people debating about headgear for amateurs, bring the headgear back 100 per cent," wrote the 21-year-old, who was also denied a place at the London 2012 Olympic Games after breaking his jaw in the Australian boxing trials.
"When you have to fight five times in a week this s**t ruins people's dreams.
"My journey is over. Got up at 6am this morning to lose weight. I made it and was ready to go to war only to be told by the doctor my journey is over.
"They won't let me fight with the cut. I had two fights, two comfortable wins with one technical knockout and a stupid elbow ruins it all."
AIBA announced last year that it was scrapping headgear for eilte men's competition following what it says were extensive medical reviews and studies carried out by its Medical Commission and by an independent physician-researcher in a recent publication in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
The data suggested the removal of headguards in elite men's competition would actually result in a decreased number of concussions and the AIBA Medical Commission voted unanimously to support the removal of headguards as a safety measure.
The new rules were first applied at the World Boxing Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan last year and will be applied to all major international competitions including the Rio 2016 Olympics.
However, the move has been criticised by many within the sport including the Australian boxing team manger here at Glasgow 2014, Allan Nicholson, who said the removal of headguards increases the likelihood of fighters getting cuts and being ruled out of competition.
"If you're going to have a tournament such as the Olympics, Commonwealth Games and even the Australian Championships, where you have to box once, twice, three times, four times in the course of as many days, you're going to find boxers are being put out because of injury and the best boxers then will not be the Olympic champions or the Commonwealth Games champions as is happening here," he said.
"They've (AIBA) done it against the opinion of most people in the sport.
"At this present time, I'm very disappointed for that young man (Lewis).
"He's devastated and it's wrong."
Headguards are still a requirement in women's boxing which is making its Commonwealth Games debut this year.
AIBA has promised to reassess the use of headguards following the competition in Glasgow.
"We are looking at the number of cuts and after our study we will prepare our report," said vice-president of AIBA and the Commonwealth Games tournament supervisor, Dr Abdellah Bessalem.
"But we have to remember that without headguards the number of concussion injuries suffered by boxers has gone down."
Australia named a team of 11 boxers for the Commonwealth Games and arrived here in Glasgow under the guidance of new head coach Kevin Smith of England.
It has won a total of 59 medals at Commonwealth Games including 13 gold, but failed to medal at Delhi 2010.
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
May 2014: New Australian boxing coach aiming for Commonwealth and Olympic success
March 2013: Headguards to be scrapped for male boxers at Rio 2016