By Gary Anderson

The football authorities in Ghana have been warned by FIFA over Government interference ©Getty Images World football governing body FIFA has written to the Ghana Football Association (GFA) expressing concerns over a Government investigation into the team's performance at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

The Ghanaian Government has set up a three-man commission to investigate the performance of the side after they failed to qualify from the group stages in Brazil, losing to the United States in their opening game before earning a creditable draw with eventual champions Germany.

However, needing at least a draw in their final match with Portugal, the Black Stars went down 2-1 and made an early exit.

Ghana's time in Brazil was blighted, however, by rows over appearance money and in-fighting in the squad.

Prior to the make-or-break game with Portugal on June 26, team manager James Appiah sent star players Sulley Muntari and Kevin Prince-Boateng back to the dressing room after a training ground bust-up.

That had followed a refusal by the squad to train earlier that week in a row over money, prompting Ghana's president, John Dramani Mahama, to send a plane containing £1.76 million ($3 million/€2.2 million) to Brazil for the players to share.

However, just hours before kick-off against the Portuguese in the National Stadium in Brasilia, the Ghanaian authorities announced that both Muntari and Boateng had been suspended for disciplinary reasons.

Boateng was suspended for verbally abusing Appiah while it was claimed Muntari physically attacked Executive Committee member of the GFA, Moses Armah.

Sulley Muntari was suspended by the GFA after they claim he physically attacked one of their officials during the 2014 FIFA World Cup ©Getty Images Sulley Muntari was suspended by the GFA after they claim he physically attacked one of their officials during the 2014 FIFA World Cup ©Getty Images




The fall-out led to an official Government investigation being launched which has not gone down well with FIFA.

"We have learnt from media reports that the Presidency of the Republic of Ghana has appointed a Committee of Enquiry and Investigation into the Black Stars' participation to the 2014 FIFA World cup in Brazil," wrote FIFA deputy general secretary, Markus Kattner, in a letter to the GFA.

"The composition and the competences of the said Commission are unclear.

"Provided the reports are true we deem it important to clarify from the beginning the procedures and to ensure that the GFA can operate without interference as required by FIFA statutes.

"Under this circumstance we kindly ask you to provide us with a report at your earliest convenience."

Ghana, who are four-time African champions, could face a suspension from FIFA if it deems that the GFA is being unduly influenced by the country's Government.

In reply to FIFA's letter, GFA spokesman Ibrahim Sannie Daara, said: "We will be making an official response to the FIFA letter sometime this week.

"The GFA President [Kwesi Nyantaky] has had talks with the Sports Minister [Joseph Yamin] to reach an understanding on the work of the commission before we brief FIFA accordingly.

"It is important that we are on the same page with Government to avoid any further problems with FIFA.

"Let it be clear that the GFA is to open to any investigation and we must do it in such a way that it would not attract any sanctions from FIFA.

"I am confident we will find the right balance to ensure that everything is perfect."

Nyantaky and the GFA are already under investigation by police after a joint investigation by The Daily Telegraph and Channel 4 programme Dispatches in Great Britain alleged a Ghanaian club official and a FIFA agent said they could arrange the rigging of matches involving the national team.

Nyantaky has denied the claims.

Contact the writer of this story at gary.anderson[email protected]


Related Stories
June 2014: 
Ghana Football Association President denies match-fixing claims