Welsh boxer Fred Evans has been banned from competing at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow after having his accreditation refused.
Evans has been prevented from travelling with the Wales team to Glasgow following background checks carried out by the UK Home Office and Commonwealth Games officials.
The 23-year-old had been named along with the likes of world number one ranked flyweight Andrew Selby in a strong Welsh boxing squad, and was among the favourites to medal in the welterweight category in Glasgow.
Following the decision Team Wales Chef de Mission Barry Davies said in a statement: "Team Wales can confirm that boxer Fred Evans has had his accreditation refused by Glasgow 2014 based on checks completed by the Home Office and the Commonwealth Games accreditation decision board.
"Sadly, he is therefore unable to compete at the Commonwealth Games.
"We have engaged in rigorous and thorough communications with all relevant bodies over the last few weeks, including putting forward two mitigation plans, unfortunately all of which have been unsuccessful.
"The key Welsh and British sporting agencies have been supportive in our attempts to get Fred to the Games and we are bitterly disappointed at the outcome.
"Fred is a world-class boxer and has handled this difficult situation in a very disciplined manner, continuing to work hard in the hope of a satisfactory resolution.
"We thank him for his professionalism and wish him all the best for his future ambitions."
Former European champion Evans pleaded guilty to assaulting a man at a lap-dancing club in Birmingham earlier this year for which he was fined and ordered to pay £250 ($420/€304) of costs, a £43 ($72/€52) victim surcharge and £500 ($840/€608) in compensation to victim of the attack Sam Robinson.
Robinson, who claimed that he required dental surgery costing about £3,000 ($5,000/€3,650), was set upon by Evans and his friend Danny Butler at lap-dancing club Legs 11 on February 23, after reportedly getting into an argument about the Welsh reality television show The Valleys.
Both men had pleaded not guilty at a previous hearing, but admitted common assault after viewing close circuit television footage prior to appearing at Birmingham Magistrates' Court on April 17.
Butler was jailed for 10 weeks for his part in the attack and also ordered to serve four weeks of a previous suspended sentence imposed for a similar offence.
It is unclear yet whether this incident is related to his accreditation being refused for the Games.
Evans' participation at Glasgow 2014 had been in doubt after he agreed to join the International Boxing Association Pro Boxing competition last year but a rule change allowed him to be selected for the Games.
Speaking to insidethegames following news of Evans' ban, Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive Mike Hooper said: "For the Commonwealth Games all participants receiving accreditation are subject to a background and security check.
"All CGA's (Commonwealth Games Associations), prior to submitting their names, acknowledge this.
"Therefore, any athlete, official, coach, who fail these checks will not be granted an accrediation.
"This is the same system used for London 2012."
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
May 2014: Selby and Evans set to be named to Welsh boxing squad for Glasgow 2014
April 2014: Olympic boxing silver medallist Evans admits assault at lap-dancing club
January 2014: Welsh boxers Selby and Evans not eligible for Commonwealth Games