Wales are set to name Andrew Selby and Fred Evans as part of their boxing squad for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games after the pair had been originally ruled out due to signing contracts to compete in the inaugural International Boxing Association (AIBA) Pro Boxing competition.
The competition, which will see boxers fight professionally while being allowed to retain eligibility to take part in the Olympic Games, was due to start in June and July with pre-ranking tournaments before a champion's tournament from August to December, but AIBA announced last month that the start of the competition has been moved to October 24.
The move automatically opened up the possibility of Selby and Evans representing Wales in Glasgow and it now seems certain that both will be named to the Wales squad when the team is announced next Tuesday (May 13).
"Andrew is world number one and Fred is an Olympic silver medallist and they are both world class boxers so we are obviously delighted that they are available to be considered for the team," Welsh Amateur Boxing Association (WABA) performance director, James Thomas told insidethegames.
"Andrew and Fred are two of Wales' best boxers.
"It's great news for Wales that both are available."
Selby, 25, is currently ranked number one in the AIBA rankings at flyweight and became the first British boxer to defend a title at the European Boxing Championships in Minsk, Belarus last year before going on to claim a bronze at the World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
The boxer from Barry represented Dolce & Gabbana Italian Thunder in this year's World Series of Boxing (WSB) having turned out for UK-based franchise the British Lionhearts in last season's competition.
He appeared at the Delhi 2010 Commonwealth Games but lost out at the quarter-final stage.
Evans is a former European champion and won silver in the welterweight division at London 2012.
The 23-year-old was fined last month by Birmingham Magistrates' Court after admitting to assaulting a man in his 20s at a lap-dancing club in February, which could have put his selection for Glasgow 2014 in doubt.
However, Thomas explained that a disciplinary panel of the British Amateur Boxing Association (BABA) met to discuss the case and decided that no further action will be taken against Evans.
"We took note of it and he is a UK Sport funded athlete and is on the Great Britain boxing programme," explained Thomas.
"A BABA disciplinary panel held a review and they have decided to keep Fred on the programme.
"We were happy to consider him on that basis."
While Evans is free to compete in Glasgow, his future with the APB is still unclear with the boxer yet to sign his contract to fight in the competition after signing a pre-agreement, according to AIBA.
When asked whether Evans' fine for assault would jeopardise his possible participation in the competition, Mirko Wolf from AIBA said: "We do have provisions in the contracts protecting ourselves and the boxers from misconduct in any way.
"We will look into the case of Fred Evans and take appropriate decisions."
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
April 2014: Olympic boxing silver medallist Evans admits assault at lap-dancing club
April 2014: AIBA Pro Boxing set for October debut
January 2014: Welsh boxers Selby and Evans not eligible for Commonwealth Games
June 2013: Welsh boxing star Selby set to miss Glasgow 2014 after signing APB deal