January 2 - Russia says it has detained more than 700 people following two deadly suicide bombings in Volgograd that came less than six weeks before the nation's hosting of the 2014 Winter Games.
"We bow our heads in front of the victims of the terrible acts of terror," he said in a televised speech as more than 5,000 police and interior troops were mobilised in Volgograd as part of "Operation Anti-terror Whirlwind".
"We will fiercely and consistently continue the fight against terrorists until their complete annihilation."
However, Russian Olympic Committee President and International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alexander Zhukov was reported to have said earlier this week that there are no plans to introduce extra security measures in Sochi for the Olympics and Paralympics, which are set to get underway on February 7 and March 7, respectively.
"Concerning the Olympic Games in Sochi, all necessary security measures are provided for, and extra security measures in light of the act of terrorism in Volgograd will not be taken, because everything needed is done," he told R-Sport.
Meanwhile, there has been widespread reaction from the Olympic Movement, with increased security measures being put in place for athletes from some nations, such as Norway and Australia.
Restrictions have been placed on the Australian athletes planning to travel to Russia, preventing them from training or visiting places outside of Sochi.
"We share Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop's concerns for the safety and welfare of our athletes and their families and spectators," Australian Olympic Committee President John Coates, who is also an IOC vice-president, said.
"We will continue to work closely with DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) whose representatives have attended our Sochi planning meetings.
"We will impress on our athletes DFAT's advice that they exercise a high degree of caution in Russia because of the threat of terrorist activity.
"And we will share with and impress on our athletes DFAT's general travel advice for Russia and specific Sochi Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games 2014 advice."
The Norwegian Olympic and Paralympic Committee and Confederation of Sports has revealed that the Police Security Service (PST), which communicates regularly with Russian authorities, will travel to Sochi with the nation's athletes and the squad's manager, Tore Øvrebø, will be kept updated on the security situation in and around Sochi during the Games.
"It is important that PST is with us," Øvrebø said.
"It is a question of protecting the interests of Norwegian citizens.
"We must have the relevant information to make good decisions related to security."
The Canadian and United States Olympic Committees are also among those to have released statements following the bombings, with the latter suggesting that the attacks were a "preview of what could happen" at Sochi 2014.
"We're concerned," United States Olympic Committee (USOC) chief executive Scott Blackmun told Today.
"I think this is the first time that we've had an incident so close to the Games both in terms of geography and in terms of time.
"The reality is that there are different challenges at every Games.
"In this case we got a preview of what could happen, but we're very hopeful that the Russians' commitment to security, which is frankly one of the highest levels of commitment we've ever seen from a Government and an organising committee, will serve us well."
Canadian Olympic Committee President Marcel Aubut offered his "full support" to the Russian Olympic Committee.
"We have complete faith in the Sochi 2014 organising committee in upholding the appropriate security levels at the Olympic Games," he added.
"We also believe in their ability to work collaboratively with other Governments and National Olympic Committees to ensure that all necessary measures are in place."
The International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) also admitted that it is continuing to "closely monitor the situation" in Russia but insists that it is "wholly committed to fulfil its obligation for ice hockey to be part of Sochi 2014, as it has been every time since 1920".
It also moved to remind people that security challenges are not new in the Olympic Movement, highlighting the example of the Salt Lake City 2002 Games taking place following the September 11 attacks in the United States.
"Prior to Salt Lake City 2002, the situation was extremely tense only four months after September 11, but all involved parties - IOC, SLOC2002, the various sport federations together with national security authorities - delivered a memorable Games, including safety for athletes, fans, media and other participants," a statement added.
Russia's double Olympic pole vault champion Yelena Isinbayeva is also said to be in shock following the attacks on her home town.
"It is hard for me to talk now," the athlete, who is due to take part in the Sochi 2014 Torch Relay when it reaches Volgograd on January 20, told Russian news agency ITAR-TASS.
"None of my family or loved ones suffered.
"But I feel terrible, simply terrible."
Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]
December 2013: Second bomb in Volgograd kills 14 as IOC President condemns "despicable attack"
December 2013: Suicide bomb attack kills at least 16 in Volgograd ahead of Sochi 2014