By Emily Goddard at the Café Royal in London

C K WuAugust 12 - England were today warned by C K Wu, President of the International Boxing Association (AIBA), that they had "seriously damaged its own boxers' interests" in going against the sport's world governing body and incurring a temporary ban - but he would not stop them competing in major events.

As reported by insidethegames last month, the ABAE was hit with a provisional suspension after it blocked World Series of Boxing (WSB) fighters from competing at national events.

But English boxers will be able to compete at the AIBA Junior World Boxing Championships, which are due start on September 5 in Kiev, even if the suspension is not lifted.

Wu has used his powers as AIBA President to decree that they can still fight in major tournaments, but under the flag of the world governing body, while a resolution is found to the situation. 

"By challenging the AIBA programme, ABAE has seriously damaged its own boxers' interests," he said.

"Therefore, the case has been referred to the AIBA Disciplinary Commission for further decision.

"The provisional suspension, whilst prohibiting the participation of all ABAE boxers, coaches, officials in future AIBA and confederation competitions, was put in place in order to protect the interest of the ABAE boxers."

Charlie EdwardsABAE blocked WSB fighters from competing at national events

Although the ban was unanimously backed by AIBA's Executive Committee, Wu said he regretted "the impact this suspension will have on the boxers' preparations for AIBA competitions", which could have included the World Championships in Kazakhstan in October.

English boxers have already missed out on the chance to compete at the European Youth Championships, which are currently taking place in Rotterdam.

"It is his [Wu's] sincere wish that the Disciplinary Commission expedite the case and proceed to resolve the matter as soon as possible, whilst taking into account the best interests of the boxers," an AIBA spokesman added.

He did say, however, that ABAE must "realise the mistakes" it has made and "the damage it has caused to its own boxers and coaches".

Contact the writer of this story at [email protected]


Related stories
July 2013: AIBA provisionally suspends Amateur Boxing Association of England
May 2013: Alan Hubbard - The "battle of the blazers" is endangering the future of British boxing
March 2013: ABAE chair Caborn welcomes move to professional boxing by AIBA