Former FIFA President leaves hospital after two month stay
Tuesday, 29 May 2012
May 29 - Former FIFA President João Havelange has been released from hospital in Rio de Janeiro, more than two months after being admitted with a serious infection on his right ankle.
The Hospital Samaritano said in a statement that the 96-year-old had recovered from the infection and his heart and lung conditions improved enough to allow him to go home.
"Favourable cardiac and respiratory conditions allowed the patient to be released," doctor Joao Mansur Filho said.
Havelange, who turned 96 earlier this month, was admitted to the Rio de Janeiro hospital on March 18 with septic arthritis, a bacterial infection that affects joints, and several times was listed in serious condition because of heart and breathing problems.
He was regularly transferred to intensive care, where he needed the aid of a ventilator to breathe properly and medication to have his blood pressure controlled.
Havelange, who served as the seventh President of football's world governing body, from 1974 to 1998, needed three drainage procedures on his right ankle as doctors tried to control the infection, which can spread quickly if not treated immediately.
Havelange was receiving antibiotic treatment intravenously until two weeks ago, when doctors said his overall health began improving significantly.
Havelange resigned from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), citing health reasons, late last year, thereby avoiding a possible suspension for allegedly taking kickbacks from former FIFA marketing partner ISL.
April 2012: FIFA President Blatter pays hospital visit to check on predecessor Havelange
April 2012: Havelange "seriously ill" again in intensive care
April 2012: Havelange to leave intensive care after responding well to treatment
March 2012: Havelange "seriously ill" in Rio de Janeiro hospital
December 2011: Mihir Bose - IOC's investigation shows willingness to correct the wrongs in sport's governing bodies