Disqualified Asian badminton players have London 2012 accreditations revoked
Friday, 03 August 2012
August 3 - All eight female Asian badminton players at the centre of the match-fixing scandal have had their London 2012 accreditations withdrawn, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) confirmed today.
In addition, it is the national federations of the relevant countries who have been asked to investigate the coaches involved to check to what extent they too were culpable.
The Chinese top seeds, two pairs from South Korea and another from Indonesia were all found guilty of manipulation following a disciplinary hearing by the Badminton World Federation (BWF).
IOC communications director Mark Adams admitted that a wider probe was now needed to see who was responsible for the tactics.
"I understand the accreditations have been taken away," said Adams.
"As you know we have also asked the federations to consider looking into the entourage but have had nothing back yet.
"It's important to make sure it's not just the athletes that are punished.
"The overall principle is that the Games are about a good sporting performance and when that doesn't happen we need to take action.
"I hope a line has been drawn under this and that there is the clear message that if it happens again action will be taken."
Earlier this week, the four pairs involved deliberately threw away easy points in their final group matches in an attempt to gain an easier draw for the knockout stage.
British Olympic Association (BOA) chairman Colin Moynihan said the format of the competition needed review.
"It is unacceptable for any athlete not to give it their best," he said.
"I don't think it is wise to have a format which could create the environment and conditions and I'm sure the BWF, an exceptionally good international federation, will have to look at the implications of this."
Jong Jun Choi, general secretary of the Korean Olympic Committee (KOC), said there was no more information to be handed over.
"We have already made a decision to expel one coach and the four players involved – and that's it," he told a briefing in answer to a question from insidethegames.
"We reported that to the IOC and they agreed with our decision."
August 2012: Disqualified badminton players' appeals rejected after match rigging at London 2012
July 2012: Badminton quartet kicked out of London 2012 for phoney tactics
August 2012: Badminton governing body to carpet players for "not trying to win" during Olympic matches