Fact of the day
In the summer of 2017, London will stage both the IAAF World Athletics Championships and the IPC Athletics World Championships in the Olympic Stadium. It will be the first time that these two Championships have been staged in the same year in the same city.
Christmas Day this year will mark the 100-year anniversary of the Christmas truce when British and German soldiers fighting in the First World War created their own brief ceasefire to exchange gifts and play impromptu games of football in a perfect example of how sport can bring warring nations together. Mike Rowbottom recounts the historic tale.
- French Olympic wrestler handed year ban for missing doping tests
- Cuban deal for Rio 2016 takes IOC's total broadcast income in quadrennium to beyond $4 billion
- Jeptoo set to be stripped of World Marathon Majors title after B-sample confirms EPO use
- IRB reveals schedule for 2014-2015 Sevens World Series with Olympic qualification up for grabs
- Wrocław moves dates of 2017 World Games to avoid clash with World Athletics Championships
Which city do you think the USOC choose to bid for the 2024 Olympics?