Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic bid gets Government guarantees but dates remain unclear
Saturday, 13 October 2012
October 13 - The Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games bid team has received all the necessary guarantees from the Government ahead of the Candidature File submission deadline next week, but the Argentinian city has refused to give details about the dates they wish to stage the event.
Buenos Aires is currently in a race to host the Games with Glasgow, Guadalajara, Medellín and Rotterdam, while all five are set to submit their Candidature File to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) at its headquarters in Lausanne ahead of the deadline on Monday (October 15).
All Applicant Cities are required to state the dates in which they wish to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games, but Buenos Aires has declined to reveal which dates it has put forward, saying it will only be made public once the Candidature File is published next week.
While the IOC has not stated an exact window to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games, it is said to prefer July and August, with Singapore having staged the first Summer Youth Olympics from August 14 until 26 and Nanjing set to stage the second edition of the Summer Games on August 16 and 28.
But July and August are winter months in Buenos Aires, when the temperature is at its very coldest, and September or October dates would mean a lot of children in Argentina and the rest of the world would have gone back to school, which would not bode well with the IOC as they are the target audience of the Games.
In July 2007 when, during the coldest winter in Argentina in almost 30 years, the city was even hit by heavy snowfall.
Staging the event earlier in the year would also be problematic as it could cause a clash with other major sporting events that year such as the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics and Paralympics in February and March respectively and the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games in April.
But the city remains confident in its bid and the dates it has put forward in its Candidate File, with Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, the President of Argentina, signing all the required Head of State guarantees.
"This is a major milestone for the Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games bid," said Gerardo Werthein, the President of the Argentine Olympic Committee (COA)
"The fact that President Kirchner has signed the required Head of State guarantees ahead of the submission of our Candidate File to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) next month demonstrates the significant political support and commitment that exists for the Buenos Aires bid."
The dates of when to stage a major sporting event came to the fore earlier this year when Doha was eliminated from the race to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Although the Qatari capital was given permission by the IOC to stage the event outside the window, the IOC Executive Board is said to have been uneasy at the plans and therefore decided not to shortlist the city for the latter stages of the 2020 bid process.
But Mauricio Macri, the head of Government of Buenos Aires City, is another in the Argentinian 2018 camp who is also in confident mood.
"We have received support from the National Government as part of the process all the Buenos Aires partners have undertaken to put together what we hope will prove a compelling Candidate File to host the 2018 Youth Olympic Games," said Macri.