2020 Summer Olympics
March 24 - Turkey's President Abdullah Gül today told the
International Olympic Committee (IOC) Evaluation Commission that choosing Istanbul to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics would send a historic message that would be heard around the world, with far-reaching consequences.
March 21 - Madrid Mayor Ana Botella has admitted that Barcelona has a higher profile on the international stage than her city because of the success of the 1992 Olympics and Paralympics, which is proving a powerful factor in the Spanish capital's efforts to bring the Games here in 2020 as the two cities enjoy a long rivalry.
By Duncan Mackay at the Hotel Eurostars in Madrid
March 19 - Madrid's decision to continue campaigning for the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics despite Spain's economic crisis has been strongly defended by the country's most senior International Olympic Committee (IOC) member, who claimed it is "act of responsibility" for them to carry on bidding.
Fashion Week, Cirque Du Soleil and Alicia Keys announcement boost Istanbul's cultural credentials ahead of IOC visit
March 15 - Designers including the likes of Tanju Babacan and Begüm Salihoglu are showcasing their latest creations at Istanbul Fashion Week, which concludes tomorrow, just days before the Turkish city welcomes the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to assess its 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid.
- Turkey "outperformed" emerging markets, confirms Olympic bid boosting Forbes report
- Madrid aims to rejuvenate Spanish economy with small business initiative for 2020 Olympics bid
- Japanese London 2012 heroes parade was turning point for Tokyo 2020, claims Takeda
- Greece pledge support to Turkey 2020 Olympic bid in historic agreement
- Tokyo 2020 tries to emphasise Japan's financial strength to IOC Evaluation Commission
- No safety fears over Tokyo 2020, IOC Evaluation Commission assured
- Support growing for Tokyo 2020 bid new survey claims
- Japanese hope new television technology will boost Tokyo 2020 bid