IOC to review ticketing policy post London 2012 empty seats debacle
Sunday, 12 August 2012
August 12 - Jacques Rogge has served notice that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is to review its ticketing policy.
The decision follows a Summer Games which, though likely to set records for attendance levels, has still been affected by empty seats at venues, angering sports fans who had been unable to obtain tickets for those very events.
The phenomenon has been visible even at particularly high-profile events such as this afternoon's men's basketball gold medal match, attended by a crowd of just over 13,500 at the North Greenwich Arena.
The IOC President told journalists at his closing London 2012 media conference at the Main Press Centre that the IOC was "definitely going to review the ticketing policy at the Games".
A working group would be set up to examine the issue.
"We need to get a good balance between the home public and the rest of the world," Rogge said.
The process is thought likely to consider whether the present system, whereby ticket distribution is handled by National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATRs), can be improved upon.
Tokyo 2020, a candidate to stage the next Summer Games but one, has indicated its interest in examining a move to an electronic ticketing system should it win the right to stage those Olympics.
August 2012: Exclusive - Tokyo aims to end the Olympics' "empty seats" problem
July 2012: London 2012 puts thousands of tickets back on sale in a bid to solve empty seat fiasco
July 2012: Venues are "stuffed to the gunnels", insists Coe after London 2012 empty seats embarrassment