London 2012 security error "a humiliating shambles", admits G4S boss
Tuesday, 17 July 2012
July 17 - The security blunder that has marred London 2012's preparations for this summer's Olympic and Paralympic Games was "a humiliating shambles", G4S head Nick Buckles admitted here today.
Last week it emerged that G4S had failed to recruit enough personnel to adequately provide security for London 2012, causing the Government to have to cancel the leave of 3,500 soldiers and policemen and women to make up the shortfall.
Buckles (pictured above and below, centre) was called before the Home Office Committee investigating the fiasco, and when pressed by a Labour Member of Parliament today on whether it was "a humiliating shambles", responded by saying he could not disagree.
He also agreed the company's reputation was in tatters and that he regretted having taken on the contract to provide security for London 2012.
"Clearly we regret signing it [the contract] but now we have got to get on and deliver it," Buckles said.
"It's not about me; it's about delivering the contract.
"I'm the right person to ensure that happens."
G4S has spent 2012 so far trying to recruit 10,000 security personnel, but are now aiming to provide 7,000 instead.
There have also been numerous reports of already recruited staff not turning up to work at Olympic venues.
Having failed to succeed in one of the biggest challenges in the company's history, G4S is facing a £50 million ($78 million/€64 million) loss and Buckles could lose his own job.
G4S is also now not bidding on security contracts for either the Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup, or the next Summer Olympics and Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro two years' later, as it had originally planned.
Buckles said he informed London 2012 that they had a shortfall on July 3, and confirmed last Wednesday (July 11) that they could not meet their obligations.
July 2012: Met Police Assistant Commissioner "entirely confident" with London 2012 security plans
July 2012: "Security will not be compromised", insists Coe
July 2012: Security blunder set to cost G4S £50 million as they apologise
July 2012: Military personnel on standby to bolster security-guard numbers for London 2012
April 2012: Extreme anti-terrorist measure could mean local flats are Olympic missile site